2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

by passing oil cooler

Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

The one I did din not have a remote filter. The filter screwed onto an aluminumadapter at the block. The same adapter had cooling lines going to the radiator. If by fitting you meant the fitting that the filter screws onto a 10 mm allen wrench removed mine. It was only threaded into the aluminum and I just took it out and screwed it into the block after removing the aluminum adapter from the block. I am willing to bet the adapter will unscrew from your aluminum remote filter adapter. After you remove the aluminum adapter at the block and screw the fitting into the block you can install the filter. Then you can remove all if the cooler lines and remote filter adapter. You can always cut the aluminum lines if you need to. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by MNBlazer
Glad I found this post!
I have been lerking for a few years and this site and it has been a life (ie truck and money) saver. Both college kids have blazers and I am keeping them alive.
Went out today to do a quick oil cooler line replacement on a 1996 S10 Blazer, 150,000.
I broke the bolt that holds the cooler lines to the remote filter. I cannot get the fitting off the filter bracket. Is the fitting threaded all the way through or is it just stuck? Even after i get it off I will still need to get the bolt out. Is the cooler line side that much more diffcult to remove vs. the engine side.
I have already done the lines to the motor so removing the remote filter and installing direct to the motor would keep my driveway clean.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the other help in the past - fuel pressure reg, upper intake gasket, EVAP code, etc....

Old 01-28-2012, 04:35 PM
MNBlazer is on a distinguished road

I looked under the truck and there is not enough room to remove the remote filter and install direct to the block. It is a 4X4 so the front drive shaft passes directly under the adapter.
I will buy the new remote filter bracket and put in new lines.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:35 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Oops. sorry I forgot that you can't put the filter on the block on a 4x4.

Originally Posted by MNBlazer
I looked under the truck and there is not enough room to remove the remote filter and install direct to the block. It is a 4X4 so the front drive shaft passes directly under the adapter.
I will buy the new remote filter bracket and put in new lines.