2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel lines! Argh!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:12 AM
nitsuj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel lines! Argh!!!

Ok, I feel silly for even havng to ask. I have a 2000 Blazer and I need to drop the tank and replace a fuel line. I just can't get the fuel lines disconnected. I've been a motorcycle mechanic since I've been old enough to have a job, so mechanical ability isn't the problem. I'm frustrated that something as simple as removing a fuel line is giving me fits. I bought disconnect fuel line tool, but it seems like it's not the right tool for the job. What I'm seeing it a plastic clip that looks like it needs to be compressed to remove the line from the fitting. What I have seems to be a colar meant to slide into the clip and expand it. Do I have the wrong tool? Does any of this even make sense? Maybe I'm just a candidate for the short bus brigade. I know this has to be one of those things that's real easy if you just know the technique. Someone clue me in before I just start hacksawing fuel lines. Thanks all.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Fuel lines! Argh!!!

ORIGINAL: nitsuj

Ok, I feel silly for even havng to ask. I have a 2000 Blazer and I need to drop the tank and replace a fuel line. I just can't get the fuel lines disconnected. I've been a motorcycle mechanic since I've been old enough to have a job, so mechanical ability isn't the problem. I'm frustrated that something as simple as removing a fuel line is giving me fits. I bought disconnect fuel line tool, but it seems like it's not the right tool for the job. What I'm seeing it a plastic clip that looks like it needs to be compressed to remove the line from the fitting. What I have seems to be a colar meant to slide into the clip and expand it. Do I have the wrong tool? Does any of this even make sense? Maybe I'm just a candidate for the short bus brigade. I know this has to be one of those things that's real easy if you just know the technique. Someone clue me in before I just start hacksawing fuel lines. Thanks all.
take your tool and put it around the fuel line, slide the tool into the collar, push the fuel line further into the collar while you maintain pressing the tool into the collar. The ool should then slide in a little futher. then pull the line out of the collar.
Just keep some pressure on the tool into the collar the whole time.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-30-2006, 03:44 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you can remove them without the tool, there are 2 types of connectors on the 3 lines coming out of the fuel pump. 2 of them have a little plastic clip that you squeeze and then pull the hose off, the center line you have to squeeze the fitting on the fuel line side just right and then slide it off. It's a little tricky but start with the two fuel lines that have the plastic clip with little ears that you can squeeze, with one hand squeeze the clip then with the other hand try to push then pull the fuel line off, with a little struggle you can get it off. To remove the center line squeeze the very end of the connector on the line at it's fattest part, doing this will make the connector ovalize enough to clear the little hooks holding it on, again push then pull to get it off.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:32 PM

Got them off, thanks for the help guys. Now I just have to find the darn line! The local dealers don't have it in stock, and since it has those goofy ends, looks like I can't just use generic line (or can I?). So, I have a broken vehicle, needing hard to find parts, on a holiday weekend. Oh Joy.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:56 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

IF you use regular straight line, you should get a tubing bender tool. 1/2" line isn't the easiest to bend by hand.

I am not saying straight line will work, and I am not saying it won't work. I honestly don't know, if have never looked at the end of the newer stlye fuel lines to see what kind of flare they have. If it is a regular flare, then yes, straight line should work. Your going to have to cut off one end, slide on the plastic fitting, and new fitting and flare the cut end. Your looking at buying a couple of special tools.
Cutting tool- preferable to geta small pipe cutter. Like a plumber would use. A hack saw works too, just clean up the burs with a file and make sure no filings remain in the line. They wont pass thruogh your injectors, and will lead to performance problems.

Flareing tool- look for one that does a double flare, cause your going to need a double flare. Teh doulbe flare flares the outside of the tube (opens it up), the second flare is for the inside of the first flare.

Tubing bender- buy a decent one and practice with it. If your not carefull you can still crimp the line. Keep practicing, your master it.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
yjwandjrc is an unknown quantity at this point

Replace fuel lines - 1997 Blazer. GM/Chev part numbers for mine are 15004586 and 15109085, $209 and $144 respectively, for an absurd total of $370!! Instead, I made mine using same size brake line. Steps are: 1) Disconnect the metal line from the plastic line. Split-collar disconnect tools for fuel lines do not work. The design onthese lines are squeezed as described in earlier postings. Make your own tool - grind down the side of a pair ofneedle-nose pliers. The modified needle nose pliers are skinny enough to get atand squeeze that plastic clip.Soak with WD40 in advance to make removal easier. Simply squeeze and pull! 2) Remove the old lines, taking care to preserve the end connections. 3) Cut out the rusty section of the lineand save the ends that have the special design that fits into the plastic clip ends. You will be re-using these ends as long as the ends have minimal / no corrosion. 4) Buy brake line of same size. 5) Cut and bend the brake line to match the excised rusty piece. 6) Slip on the flare nuts on both the old ends that you plan to re-use, and on the new, replacement piece of brake line. 7) Double-flare the ends. Not sure what this means? Then do not attempt. DO NOT USE COMPRESSION FITTINGS OR SINGLE FLARE ENDS as these will fail (and burn up your truck). 8) Re-install the three new pices and connect the flared ends using F-F flared connecter. 9) Re-clip the original ends to the plastic ends. The fuel filter may have a flared fitting with a nut and o-ring gasket, depending on your VIN. 10) Check for leaks, and if you cannot tighten them to eliminate, then you'll need to start over, or buy OEM parts from GM/Chev. This repair method is not guaranteed to work!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Wow! Talk about a late reply. Thanks for the info, I hope it's able to help someone else. My Blazer isn't still sitting waiting for fuel lines. In fact, I traded it in over a year ago on a *gulp* new Ford. F150. Happy with it. But thanks for the help just the same.