2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

power steering pump pulley removal, 96 Blazer 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:08 AM
irata is an unknown quantity at this point
Default power steering pump pulley removal, 96 Blazer 4.3

Does anybody know how to remove the power steering pulley? I have everything off to replace the intake manifold gasket, but now the AC brcket is in the way. To remove it I need to pull the ps pulley. The bolt that holds it on is not threaded, it seems to need a hex head. When I put that in, the whole pulley moves. I've rented the ps pulley puller from Autozone, but it seems that these are only for threaded pulleys. Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: power steering pump pulley removal, 96 Blazer 4.3

There isn't a bolt. It is a press fit.

You need the proper tool for the job. Should be available at any autoparts store. It's a power steering pulley puller.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle is right, but you do not need to remove the pulley to replace the intake gaskets. Take a closer look....you can unbolt the entire bracket and just pull it forward (with p/s pump still attatched to it) out of the way and then remove the intake.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, definitely can (I did it). There are a few hidden bolts though. One that is behind the PS pump under the exhaust manifold that is *fun* to get to. The other is just off to the driver's side of the crank pulley. You don't have to remove the one that is under the exhaust manifold as the PS bracket is slotted.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks guys. Right about the no bolt. Figured out the press kit and got it off. I just pulled all the bolts out to take the AC bracket out, and left the pump in.

Now I need to figure out how to drain the block. I was looking for the plugs on the block but couldn't find them. Can I just do the whole job without draining the block? I have already drained the radiator.

I was also thinking of flushing out the Dexcool coolant, and replacing it with the green. Any thoughts?

Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

No need to drain the block...

We have a very lengthy post on Dexcool. For the sake of the debate, I was on the side of Dexcool and I learned a lot of stuff along the way.

My recommendation to you is to use Prestone Extended Life All Makes/All Models coolant. Same long life of Dexcool, but the same coating benefits of green.

I would also recommend a good flush with the garden hose once you get the intake all buttoned back up. While the intake is off, clean out the passages in the back of engine where they dead-head. When you flush it out, drain it as best you can after a good flush with the hose. Then using 4-5 gallons of distiled water, flush it some more and drain it again. Then add 1.5 gallons of coolant and top off the system with distilled water. That'll keep it nice and happy for quite some time.

Also, while your in there, replace the thermostat AND the radiator cap. I prefer stant for both.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks a lot swartkik, that's what I'll do. I was planning on flushing, I just wasn't sure if I should switch the coolant.

This is my first foray into the engine, I've never done more than the brakes and helped a friend do a water pump a few years back. Glad to have access to this site and its members.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:12 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

irata,
As long as you went this far with your truck, And If you plan to keep it for a Lil while longer, I strongly suggest you change out the water pump, and every single Cooling hose on the motor while you can touch everything with your hands and wrench's easily... Dont forget to change the Oil and Filter when your done with the intake job......

Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM

That sounds like a good idea.

So now I have the manifold pulled off. Is there a chemical you guys use to clean all the crap off it? I checked pilgrim's walkthrough and I plan to use a scraper of some sort, but there's so much black carbon stuff on the bottom of the manifold I was wondering if I shouldn't clean it all up while I have it open.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I used regular carbon cleaner to clean things off.