2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power Sun Roof won't close

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
superbee70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power Sun Roof won't close

Hi all,

Have a 2003 Blazer ZR2, opened the sunroof today, and when attempting to close, al lI hear is a "lick" right above the drivers visor. Assume this is where the motor is located, anyways, is this a common (known) issue?

With my limited knowledge of this type of problem, I believe the motor is shot, would anyone concur?

Ballpark price for replacement motor? Difficulty of the repair?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Power Sun Roof won't close

Will, did you check the fuse panel? I'm not sure what circuit the power sun roof is on, but that would be the first thing to check. With electric motors as they get older and worn, they draw more amps and should blow the fuse. If you keep blowing fuses then I'd say you have a bad roof motor. Or it could be something in the tracks or mechanisms to open and close the roof.

I just bought my '01 Extreme and haven't studied that part of my Blazer yet.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks, was very late when I got home last night. Will check the manual for the fuse #. Suspect far greater problem because I am hearingthe click sound when I try to close. Saw a few posts here about broken tracks, so may be a possibility.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, typically a click means that the motor has power... I'm not sure if the motor is in the front or on one of the sides... Never did have a reason to drop the headliner in my old Bravada. Can you help it along to atleast get it closed up?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yeah, typically a click means that the motor has power... I'm not sure if the motor is in the front or on one of the sides... Never did have a reason to drop the headliner in my old Bravada. Can you help it along to atleast get it closed up?
Sorry it won't really budge and I didn't want to force it. I amnot sure what the proper open position for it should be, (how far back should it be) it has gone past the opening in the roof. Guess the headliner is coming down today.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are two open positions, one open, but still hanging about 2" in the opening, then if you hold the open button, it will retract all the way into the roof. I wouldn't worry about forcing it too much, you probably won't be able to pull all that much on it, but if it is stuck back, it'll probably require assistance to get it back forward. You will have to pull on it while holding the close button.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

There are two open positions, one open, but still hanging about 2" in the opening, then if you hold the open button, it will retract all the way into the roof. I wouldn't worry about forcing it too much, you probably won't be able to pull all that much on it, but if it is stuck back, it'll probably require assistance to get it back forward. You will have to pull on it while holding the close button.
Thanks Kyle, did notice the (2) open positions, wasn't sure if the second one was normal, especially after it didn't want to close.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
PGuest is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife did the same thing yesterday, opened the sun roof all the way and now it will only close 2 - 3 inches then stops. If you go back again the motor makes a clciking noise when it gets all the way opened. What is the easiest way to drop the headliner and looking at the motor assembly? Has anyone ever had this problem before and if so what parts am I looking at that may behaving problems.

Thanks for the help.
PG

Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
PGuest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I pulled out all of the screws in the front 2/3 of the headliner and was able to get it open enough to poke my hand in side. I found the motor felt fine but when I opened the roof to far and the clicking occurs the round take up reel unit is making the noise. I let it make the noise for a few seconds and then tried closing the roof, it closed 1/3 of the way, did this 4 more times and was able to close it complety. I read through the other forums on this site and found the web page for the SunRoofDoctor. My next step is to check with them for parts to replace that mechanism.

Igotta say Irally like this web site, my wife lovers her blazer and there are hundreds of tips and help for keeping it going on here, if I could only find one for my 94 Chevy 3/4 pickup.

Thanks
PG