2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pre-purchase inspection results

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM
BirchyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Pre-purchase inspection results

I'm considering buying my SIL's 2002 Blazer. It's a 2 door, RWD LS, 83k miles, one accident. Here are the results of the inspection and the labor estimate:

Broken motor mounts - 4.2 hours
Oil pan gasket and rear main seal - 13 hours
Power steering pump leak - 2 hours
Rear brakes - 1.2 hours
Pitman arm play - .8 hours
Plugs/wires/rotor - 3 hours
Clunking in front end, upper control arm bushings - no labor estimate

There are other general items that need to be fixed. It needs tires, transmission flush, fuel filter, etc. Stuff that isn't too much of a concern. The tech did note that the tranny fluid smells burnt, so that would be a priority.

I can do a few of the items above, such as plugs/wires/rotor. I've read that one or two of the plugs can be a real task but that doesn't scare me. The brakes shouldn't be too bad, either. I'm thinking of dropping it, so I would likely buy new upper and lower control arms along with drop spindles. so that is doable.

What concerns me is the motor mounts and oil leaks. They have offered to sell me the Blazer for $1,500 because I'm family. They thought it had been well maintained, and they have the records, but what has been done are oil changes and intake gaskets (2009 and again in 2013). The shop said that neither had to be fixed NOW, but they know they would be needed within a year because I'll be driving it more than she ever did. And I HATE leaks.

So, knowing that I'm not capable of fixing the oil leaks, but possibly the motor mounts, is this a worthwhile truck for the money? I could try and get them to knock some off the price but I also don't want to be a real asshat about it.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:54 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

You did not mention what the body damage is from the accident and if it was repaired or not.
To have a shop do these repairs will be several thousand $$$$....like the $5k neighborhood! More than the vehicle is worth!
With this amount of repair needed any amount of money you pay should be considered as charity. Any dealership would send it to the scrap yard / sell for parts.

If you really like you SIL and have alot of extra money sitting around, then get it....otherwise walk away.

Just my $.02 worth.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:24 AM

Thanks Lanny. I should have mentioned that my SIL passed away recently. Her daughters made me the offer on the truck. They didn't realize how much work it needs.

I think I am going to pass. I like the truck, but not being able to do the major work myself kills the deal from an economic standpoint. It is too bad, too. The bodywork was done and the interior/exterior are in excellent condition.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 AM

Welp, I'm going ahead with the purchase. After talking, they decided that $500 was a fair price. I feel like a real ******, but they suggested it, not me. Now it's time to put it in the garage until I'm ready to give the shop $1,500 for the oil leaks.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

The burnt trans fluid has me worried. By the time the fluid smells like that the clutches are usually pretty far gone. does not take much to wipe them out so a tranny flush may actually do more harm than good because the heavy detergent in the fluid will put all the particulate and debris back into solution and pass it through the entire system again doing even more damage.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg64
The burnt trans fluid has me worried. By the time the fluid smells like that the clutches are usually pretty far gone. does not take much to wipe them out so a tranny flush may actually do more harm than good because the heavy detergent in the fluid will put all the particulate and debris back into solution and pass it through the entire system again doing even more damage.
Thanks. I've got a good transmission shop that I'll take it too. I'm confident the shop would have raised that as a serious issue if it really was the case. I was looking back through the service records (from day one) and my SIL had it flushed about 15k ago.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 PM
matt4x4 is on a distinguished road

Skip over that vehicle, not worth it one bit, UNLESS you get it for CHEAP and you yourself or someone you know can wrench on it for cheap or free.

Nope 2002 aint worth it. I think Blazers in general are not worth the trouble, but they are everywhere and you can easily find junk yard replacements of parts you need. I do like the styling, but they suck the gas back.

My next vehicle is going to be a Jeep Cherokee, solid front axle is the way to go. Non of this silly remote oil line crap. I dont think the XJ is any different on fuel, maybe a little better. Inline 6's last longer, might be a fuel advantage to I6 compared to V6.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by matt4x4
Skip over that vehicle, not worth it one bit, UNLESS you get it for CHEAP and you yourself or someone you know can wrench on it for cheap or free.

Nope 2002 aint worth it. I think Blazers in general are not worth the trouble, but they are everywhere and you can easily find junk yard replacements of parts you need. I do like the styling, but they suck the gas back.

My next vehicle is going to be a Jeep Cherokee, solid front axle is the way to go. Non of this silly remote oil line crap. I dont think the XJ is any different on fuel, maybe a little better. Inline 6's last longer, might be a fuel advantage to I6 compared to V6.
I got it for $500. I should be able to get the work done and have a good daily driver.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BirchyBoy
I got it for $500. I should be able to get the work done and have a good daily driver.
I would give $500 for sure!!! as far as jeeps.... Well, that a whole different discussion......they have a lot of issues as well!!!! Hell, just the inline 6 has numerous issues itself, and lasting longer??? That all depends on how well they are taken care of.....the 4.3 l is known to last many many miles!!!! Blazers do have some "quirks" but every vehicle does.... this forum is a great place for help, and most all of these things u can fix yourself.....

Old 01-31-2015, 02:28 AM
matt4x4 is on a distinguished road

True that, I am an offroader and the IFS aint up to snuff. The body on frame is rocking, dislike unibodies = no body lift!

But back on topic, $500 is a good deal, just fix it up and flip it.

Last edited by matt4x4; 01-31-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase inspection results