2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Problem with small bolt holding down dist. cap

Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
crater is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with small bolt holding down dist. cap

Just replace my dist. cap and rotor with new AC Delco. When replacing the two small bolts holding down the cap, one would not tighten. I used the hold bolt and the new one. Just to get by I used some blue locktite on the old bolt. i noticed it appeared lose when I removed it.

Am I screwed or can I just get a slightly longer bolt and see if the threads will finally get enough to tighten.?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully you did not strip the aluminum dist itself. The cap fits on in a very certain way,it almost kind of clicks into place and you must make sure it is down tight BEFORE you tighten any fasteners! Otherwise:the cap is on wrong! The supplied fasteners with the new cap are correct. Hint: magnetic drivers!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The original distributor housing is plastic and the "ears" will break off or strip out very easily if you're not careful. Dorman makes a replacement distributor, (Part number 690-900) with an aluminum housing for around $100. Pretty rare but if you look around they are available.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by step66
Hopefully you did not strip the aluminum dist itself. The cap fits on in a very certain way,it almost kind of clicks into place and you must make sure it is down tight BEFORE you tighten any fasteners! Otherwise:the cap is on wrong! The supplied fasteners with the new cap are correct. Hint: magnetic drivers!
I actualy did use a magnetic driver. As noted, there was no resistance when I removed the screw, it came out very easy.

Also, the cap lifted off with no trouble (clicking) and went on very easy.

There was a little (very little) play (able to rotate left to right) before the bolts were tightened down. No play afterwards.

Is the little bit of play normal? Also, what about my idea of finding a slightly longer screw and some lock-tite.

I apologize if I am getting confused or confusing you all.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member
Mike7075 is on a distinguished road

The tabs with the threaded holes for holding down your distributor cap are not very deep, so a longer screw would probably not work. Blue loctite does not really work on plastic... it is made for metal to metal contact. They do have a Loctite 425 that is made for plastics, so this may work for you. Other than that using a slightly larger diameter screw may work, but you run the risk of breaking the little tab with the threaded hole off.

Personally, I think this design was a scam from GM. Look at the dealer price for a new distributor, and you'll agree! They knew the tabs would break or strip out at some point and you'd be shelling out a bunch of cash to fix it! "Sorry ma'am, but we can't complete your $300 tune-up unless you pay $1000 parts and labor for a new distributor."

Last edited by Mike7075; 11-01-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike7075
The tabs with the threaded holes for holding down your distributor cap are not very deep, so a longer screw would probably not work. Blue loctite does not really work on plastic... it is made for metal to metal contact. They do have a Loctite 425 that is made for plastics, so this may work for you. Other than that using a slightly larger diameter screw may work, but you run the risk of breaking the little tab with the threaded hole off.

Personally, I think this design was a scam from GM. Look at the dealer price for a new distributor, and you'll agree! They knew the tabs would break or strip out at some point and you'd be shelling out a bunch of cash to fix it! "Sorry ma'am, but we can't complete your $300 tune-up unless you pay $1000 parts and labor for a new distributor."
Thanks Mike, Like I mentioned I think the tabs were broke when I took it off. I had no resistance what so ever, when I lifted the cap off. I will try the Loctite 425. Other than having a slight starting problem in the morning the vehicle is running much much better. I will remove the cap again in the morning and see if I can notice where the tabs are/were. Like many others these day's I cannot afford a new dist. just because of some stupid tabs.

Does anybody know where I can find a picture of the GM Dist looking at the tabs? I have searched a lot today and I cannot find a picture of just the top of the dist with out a cap being on it. I thought about going to the stealship and buy one just to see what it looks like,and then return it, but that is some what of a problem with where I live and my health at the moment.

again many thanks for your help and everybody else... Great forum ....

Old 11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the EDI Engine Timing thread in the Tech Article (DIY) section (index can be found in my signature) for pictures of the distributor.

I have also posted pictures of the stock injection molded, fiber filled distributor base that I removed from a running +250k mile GMC Safari van. These distributors can last a REALLY long time if you don't go crazy with the fasteners. It's the meat-fisted mechanics that you should be blaming IMO. It's a distributor cap, it doesn't need to be torqued to 20ftlbs.