2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PWR ACCY breaker/fuse overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:10 AM
rirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PWR ACCY breaker/fuse overheating

First off, Howdy!

Second, it's unfortunate that I came across this site because I have a problem that doesn't appear to have an answer that Google is capable of finding for me. I have a '95 4WD Chevy Blazer that hasn't given me any troubles aside from a half-working power mirror switch, but recently I've had a problem with the keyless entry, power locks, and power seat. Come to find out these all reside on one circuit (is there more I don't know about on this circuit?) and the fuse (breaker?) is overheating inexplicably. When the aforementioned stuff quits working, the thing is HOT to the touch. Hot like I need my Leatherman to pull it out, and to hold it is a game of hot-potato if I'm not wearing gloves. Thankfully it hasn't been hot enough to melt the plastic of the fusebox or cover, but it worries me and it's down-right annoying not to have keyless entry and power locks (the seat's in just the right position so I can live without the power seats).

Cutting the rambling short, what could cause this?

Some steps I've taken (funds are limited at the moment).
1. Swapped the power window fuse/breaker in the socket to see if there was something wrong with the current 20A one that's in the socket.
It overheated too, just not as quick (it's a 30A) so I quickly decided it wasn't a problem with that (and put the 30A back where it goes)
2. Disconnected the power lock switches in the doors to see if there was a short or something causing a draw (no dice, still overheated)
3. Disconnected the bad power mirror switch just in case (the mirrors are positioned fine, so I haven't bothered replacing it) [no dice, still overheated]

Currently I just leave the thing out. Even though the truck sometimes sits for three or more days at a time, and the battery wasn't getting noticeably drained or anything, I thought it best to pull it and not wake up to a flaming truck one morning (I've already had an '80 Mustang go up in flames from a shorted starter, so I'm a bit paranoid maybe)

The power locks (both driver's side and passenger side switches), keyless entry, and power seat all work fine until the fuse/breaker overheats, then of course they all just stop working period.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and might I say this is quite a nice place you've got here (I'm a fan of Blazers. Owned 3 so far, each replacing the last)

Ryan

Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: PWR ACCY breaker/fuse overheating

First...welcome to the site.

Second, I can tell you with absolute certainty, that the problem resides in your driver's seat wiring harness. It is shorted to the seat frame (wire chaffed on the stamped steel frame where it passes through to the switch). If you want to fix it you need to remove the seat and pull the harness part-way out of the seat and repair the wire/s then use some thick adheasive tape or something to line the metal on the seat to prevent it from happening again. If you want a quick fix (you can also do this to quickly eliminate the possibility that the problem is somewhere else) just put your seat exactly where you want it and disconnect the harness connector under the seat. If it's a short in the seat like I think, it will stop heating-up the breaker when you unplug the seat harness. Be sure to repost your results, and again welcome to the forum!

Old 09-15-2007, 04:56 PM
rirby is an unknown quantity at this point

You rock!

Sure enough, I reach under the back of the seat, pull the three connectors I can reach and there went the overheating problem. Now the trick is to figure out how to remove the seat without breaking anything. Thankfully it's the weekend and it's not too cold out yet, so it should be an adventure instead of a chore.

Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

You're welcome, glad I could help.