2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Quad Headlight Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quad Headlight Mod

Thanks to Jigg for letting me know this was so easy! I'm not sure what the application range is for this mod, but here's the info from my 2k Bravada. Should be good for 1998 thru 2001, but I know that the ZR2 is different...

If you want to keep your low beam bulbs on with the high beams, find the yellow wire (not the yellow wire with black tracer) from the low beam bulb and ground it out. I elected to pull the wire loom back to get to the wire further from the bulb connector and strip off about a 1/4" of insulation from the wire without cutting the it. Using a soldering pencil, I soldered the new wire into the existing. With a self tapping sheetmetal screw, I attached the ground to the radiator core support. Last, I put the wires back in the loom and buttoned it back up! But that's just how I did it, you could use a clip on connector to splice off of the main wire as well, and it would work good for a long time.

I just did it in a little under 20 minutes, soldering and all. Here are some pics:

Just finished soldering

Wiring complete!

I may open it back up again once I get some liquid tape to really seal it better. Right now it just has some electrical tape on it inside the loom. Why is it that you always lose things when you move? LOL

I plan on making this a How-To once I have some more information about it...

I am also thinking about doing a dual relay setup with 12ga wire for maximum voltage to the bulbs, but I don't know if I can justify the $40 worth of connectors to make it removable... Or I could just cut the wiring harness and splice in the necessary wires...

Old 12-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Quad Headlight Mod

Lol, glad it went well for ya!

Have you had a chance to see how much additional lighting it puts out? It's pretty awesome.

There's a way to run heavier guage wire via a relay to the headlights which will also increase light output as well. Not to mention the fact that 9005 bulbs can fit in the 9006 harness (you guessed it, driving in front of my truck is like driving away from the sun :lol: )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...lights-002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...lights-007.jpg

Edit: Hahaha, you must've edited your post as i was replying... i haven't done the heavier guage wires yet, the 9005's though are a great mod.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'll probably mock up the 9005 replacements for the stock 9006's after I upgrade the wiring. The more I think about it, the more I want to just get the proper connectors so it all can be plug-n-play. I already have the relays, fuse holders, and most of the wire necessary. I could do the same thing in my Bonneville as well with the same parts! LOL

Old 12-07-2006, 04:28 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have simple question for me at least. Do you have to ground both low beams or just one ??? Also I would be interested to see the mods to fit the 9005 into 9006....pics would be nice...

Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

You only need to ground the one wire on the driver's side. The grounds are connected down the line. I could pull up a schematic if you'd like...?

Here's the schematic:

Basically for the 9005 in a 9006, just take both bulbs and sit them side by side. I believe you have to trim the 3 ears that lock the bulb into the headlamp housing as well as remove the ribs on the inside where the connector slides in. All modifications are done to the bulb itself. I may have to go out and grab a set of 9005's to make this more of a comprehensive How-To on everything headlight related...

Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 AM
isenegger is an unknown quantity at this point

will the grounding trick work on an 04 blazer? and after u ground the one yellow wire when u click the lever for the highs the lows come back on? what is the yellow wire?

Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Yes, the trick works on an '04 Blazer... It should, anyway, it did on my '05 until I took it off...

Old 08-03-2007, 12:45 AM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have noticed after doing this mod myself, that the low beams are on permanently. Any one have this problem, or is it supposed to do this?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

As in with the headlights off, they stay on?

Could be your daytime running lights use your lowbeams

Old 08-05-2007, 09:29 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

like during the day the low beams and the drl's are on

Quick Reply: Quad Headlight Mod