2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Quick help, car on lift, cv's / torsion bar / front brake line

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road
Default Quick help, car on lift, cv's / torsion bar / front brake line

Hey guys my front brake line just blew out, its still connected to the caliper but loose, I just had the other one replaced same thing happened. can this happen because of bad brake fluid? Is it a quick fix? Just remove the old one and install the new one? How does it connect to the caliper?

Also the right side of my car sits lower then the left (drivers side) and I looked at the rear torsion bolts the ones whos head points to the ground (under the torsion key) and the ones on the lower side (passenger side) is out towards the ground about an inch more then the other one... Should I just tighten it to equal the other one? the other one is only about a half inch out.

Thirdly I just installed my passenger cv and I thought it was in all the way but now that I look at it its not. it is about a 1/4-1/2" out more then the other, Do I need to just pound it in, or does this mean the splines arent lined up? Will it go in that far if the splines are not lined up? I am assuming it just hasnt passed the c-clip... Thanks guys the car is on the lift so quick help is appreciated if possible...

Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The flexible brake line is bolted to the caliper using a hollow fastener called a banjo bolt. The other end has a typical threaded connection.

I would tighten the side that is lower until it is level again.

A block of wood and a hammer can get things seated back where they are supposed to be.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Starting Member

You are amazing dude LOL can I have your phone number? Better yet can I just send you a personal cell phone so I can just call you when ever I need help and save you the typing? haha

Ok well from under the car it looked like the line was blown because it was just flopping around, I called the parts store and they had one line for $13.00 ( I was pissed just had the other one replaced for $180) So i start taking the caliper off and I see there is just a bolt on top that holds it in thats loose. I tighten it and tighten the caliper bolts back up. Start the truck and the brakes are still super soft. F my life! Now what could it be? Hmmm maybe i should bleed it, there has got to be alot of air in there. Bled it out (first time bleeding brakes) was easy as pie with 12" of 5/16" tubing(I think was the size), a water bottle and the assistance of my gf. Then brakes were nice and firm! YAY! I then turned the rear torsion bolts about 2 1/2 times tightening it. and measured a couple spots on each side of the bumper and they were even first try! Thanks harbor freight for my $8 25" breaker bar.

Things couldnt of gone better, torsion bolts were just about even with the cross member and about 1/2-3/4" out from being all the way in. I will look at the CV axles tomoro and bleed the rest of the brakes. I got tires a few weeks ago so I am getting a free alignment check and alignment if needed friday. and shocks 2 weeks from friday on my next paycheck! Hopefully then my truck will begood for a while. After I get my 16mm flarenut wrench in the mail So I can get that damn fuel filter off.

Ok im done rambling Im sure noone will even read this. thx and maybe this will help someone...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it figured out for the most part. Good luck on the CV.

And no, you cannot have my phone number. Too many people have it already!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Starting Member

I hope it wont go in that far unless the spindle threads are aligned because I really dont want to take that thing back out again. I'll try hitting it on with a 2x4. I'll update once I figure it out.