2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

quiet exhaust, winding noise when going up hill?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Starting Member
97CountryJukeboxLt is on a distinguished road
Default quiet exhaust, winding noise when going up hill?

The problem started today, i've been driving around alot today and all of a sudden about 5:45 this afternoon hits. I have Dynomax Exhaust system, so it's not quiet at all usually, but this time the exhaust is like normal coming in first going down the road. Going into 2nd under a slight pedal pressure like normal driving it shifts a 3.1k when usually it'll shift at 2k and my exhaust his dead quiet in 2nd gear but it's running fine.

i pull onto a busy road so i have to kind get on it, coming up to the 3k mark it dosen't shift but the clutch engages and the engine is still spinning until 3.7 - 4k it shifts exhaust is still dead quiet.

Just a few minutes ago i decided to put it to the test with torquing up a hill (if you drive a blazer you know you love the torque up slopes and stuff) exhaust is dead quite (it usually screams) but i hear a loud winding sound and the usual overdrive noises.. any help?

No check engine lights, temp is normal, oil pressure is good, battery seems to be doing fine

1997 s10 blazer
111,486 miles
oil change is at 112k
tranny serviced and rebuilt two years ago
I installed a CB radio and anteanna yesterday

Last edited by 97CountryJukeboxLt; 08-02-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Starting Member

Nobody?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You posted at near midnight. Be patient and WAIT for responses. No one here gets paid to respond to you and your impatience puts many people off to the point that they just won't bother. Besides, the rules of the forum require you to wait at least 24 hours before 'bumping' your post...

Have you ever heard rattling under the passenger side floor board? Loss of power at all? The catalytic converter could have started to degrade and tossed bits & pieces into the muffler...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Starting Member

theirs a slight exhaust leak at the flange, but it's coming from the drivers side and i believe we're still using the original CAT. Sorry about the bumpin thing i don't have 1200 bucks to put into a new tranny kinda nervous.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How easy would it be for you to pull the exhaust pipe off the back of the cat and have a look-see inside? You should see a nice flat surface with a bunch of holes in it. If it is all jagged, the catalyst has started to break up and is likely lodged in the muffler.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Starting Member

it shouldn't be too hard. Could that explain a scratchy sound coming from my exhaust before all of this happened?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator

If the catalyst has broken up and lodged in the exhaust system, it could cause all sorts of weird noises.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Starting Member

It's fixed, payed 125 for the converter replacement.. my rattle is gone, the guy asked how i lived with the rattling for as whole year payed $125 out the door.. not bad seeing how most shops do it for 200

Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed! That's not a bad price for a shop to replace the cat.