2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Radiator Replacement 99 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
robrote is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator Replacement 99 blazer

I need to replace the radiator in my 99 4X4 blazer, Automatic trans.

I worked on it last night and found that the fan needs to be removed in order to access the bottom AT line and the line on the lower driver side.

Can someone tell me the best way to remove the clutch fan? Also, are the small e-clips needed on the trans lines? I lost one, so I am driving without a clip in one of the lines.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member
737mechanic is on a distinguished road

I just replaced the radiator on my 1997 4.3 with auto trans.

The E clips are needed but my new radiator came with new ones, I reused the old ones so I have the news ones as spares. If yours doesn't have new ones I am sure autozone will have them for a couple bucks for a set. The E clips is what actually holds the oil cooler and trans cooler lines into the radiator. And just so you know you install the E clips before you push the lines into the radiator. The lines a tappered and will snap in. Make sure you give a nice little pull on them to make sure they are snapped in all the way.

As far as the fan. They make a clutch fan removel kit that you can borrow from autozone if you buy the part from them. If you didn't they will rent it to you. It comes with a speacial holding device for the waterpump pulley and a wrench for the fan.

I was able to use a 1-3/8 wrench and a long prybar to remove mine. You hold the waterpump pulley using the long prybar on the 2 of the 4 13mm bolts and then you lossen the fan with the 1-3/8 wrench. If you don't have a wrench that big then buy a big cresent wrench.

BTW if you are in the dallas area I have a perfectly good radiator I will sell you for 10 bucks. I didn't spend enough time looking for my leak so I replaced my radiator and then found that it was the waterpump. But with 190,000 miles at least I know it has a clean radiator now.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member
robrote is on a distinguished road

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I hope my drivers side line doesn't pop out while I'm driving without the clip installed Ugh.

Sorry, not in TX or I would pick up the radiator from you.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you realize that you can blow your engine if the clip is missing from the oil line (driver side) and it comes free from the radiator... You could end up stranded if the transmission cooler line were to come loose as well. You really need to either rig something up, or find the missing e-clip.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

If you do not have the clip on your oil or trans fluid line....it will come out. I did not get one oil line clip in all the way when I replaced the radiator....got 0.5 miles from house....oil light comes on....oil EVERYWHERE. Get that clip on there!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robrote
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I hope my drivers side line doesn't pop out while I'm driving without the clip installed Ugh.

Sorry, not in TX or I would pick up the radiator from you.
RULE OF THUMB: Loosen the Fan Nut by turning it the same direction that the fan turns when the vehicle is running. Do not remember if the nut on the Blazer is Reverse threaded or not.
They do this so the resistant on the fan blades keeps the nut from loosening.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Beginning Member
Tdotblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, here is my problem. I changed the rad after overheating it in a vain attempt to get back home. The overheating blew a hole in the rad. I bought a new one and put it on. After getting all the fluids in and starting it up, the lower AT line popped out. In order to get it in and clipped, I removed the nut that the line clips into and clipped the AT line in. Then I used two wrenches to tighten the nut onto the rad. It has a leak. Will I need to replace that line, or? Please help! and thanks in advance.