2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear axle, front axle etc. and sindful thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM
blajeans is on a distinguished road
Default rear axle, front axle etc. and sindful thoughts

Im curious what my parts are on the Blazer, for example rear and front axle, transmission etc.

Iīve been having sindful thoughts lately and start to look for a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9. Jeepīs are much more common in Sweden and there are tons of spareparts and off road gears. Is the Jeep GC 5.9 a better object to fool around with? Im guessing that there are 10 Jeeps on every Blazer.
Off course it provides a lot more power but then ... is there any more to them?
So what do you guys say, should I stay with my Blazer and buy some lockers etc. I understand that this is a really silly question to ask at a Blazer forum but Im sure you guys have much more experience of these cars.
My plans are 31" wheels, 4" lift, lockers and take the off roading a bit more serious.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

I absolutely dislike the way the blazer keeps the Half shafts rolling even when out of
4WD. In my mind, the idea of unlocking the front hubs was to save gas mileage and wear and tear by not having all these parts turning while in 2WD. So , this setup Failed in my book. The Pushbutton 4WD is a bad setup /prone to problems too. Push in an electrical button to rotate an electrical Motor to lock in teh transfer case AND open up a Vacuum switch to pull in an actuator to pull a cabe to lock the Hubs. Too many sources of error there.

The 5.9 in the GC might be squeezed in there even tighter then the 4.3 in the blazer. Look at accessibilty to the maintenance items.
I think lift kits and other off road suspension stuff is more readily availible for the GC's
I can't speak for the axles. Not sure what Jeeps are running these days...In the 5.9 gc it might still be the Dana 44 and 30's? If it is, then the Carrier bearings in teh 44 are much larger then the chevy rear.

My 2 Cents

Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 AM
MrTwister is on a distinguished road

My buddy has a 93 grand. Only thing I can advise is to be cautious of the Jeep's factory anit theft system. If it goes haywire your in for one hell of a mess trying to even get the thing started, and to keep it running. Also the power windows are prone to stop working. If it has the full time 4x4 transfer case be ready to spent a large ammount on fuel, the 5.9 is thirsty, add both sets of wheels getting power all the time and it's nuts. My buddy would spend like $80 for one afternoon of offroading....and this was a few years ago when gas wasn't so crazy.
But they are very capable vehicles, parts are easy to locate....and you can't complain about V8 power.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Sadchevy is on a distinguished road

why be normal?
drive something nobody else has .
be your own man .

buy a unimog!!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
lemon blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blajeans
Im curious what my parts are on the Blazer, for example rear and front axle, transmission etc.

Iīve been having sindful thoughts lately and start to look for a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9. Jeepīs are much more common in Sweden and there are tons of spareparts and off road gears. Is the Jeep GC 5.9 a better object to fool around with? Im guessing that there are 10 Jeeps on every Blazer.
Off course it provides a lot more power but then ... is there any more to them?
So what do you guys say, should I stay with my Blazer and buy some lockers etc. I understand that this is a really silly question to ask at a Blazer forum but Im sure you guys have much more experience of these cars.
My plans are 31" wheels, 4" lift, lockers and take the off roading a bit more serious.
Buy the Jeep. Side by side comparison, Blazer will require more parts, wrenching etc. Plus the Blazer is Gutless, underpowered.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lemon blazer
Buy the Jeep. Side by side comparison, Blazer will require more parts, wrenching etc. Plus the Blazer is Gutless, underpowered.

yeah a blazer will require more parts but a blazer stills has a good amount of low end torque in 4lo imo. im not saying go out and pull a 14,000 lb trailer, but they still have some grunt, nothing compared to a v8 but you still save some gas.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
maddzz is on a distinguished road

I have an 89 MJ Comanche and a 94 XJ Cherokee, both with the 4.0 straight six. Forget about the GC. Buy a regular Cherokee. There is so much aftermarket support for it and you can buy a whole donor for a parts rig for like $200. We just did 2 4WD conversions (one is still in the process) to my friends MJs with donor cherokees. XJs up to 99 have the high pinion D30 front axle.

Im new to the blazer world so I cant give my opinion on it yet.

Last edited by maddzz; 03-20-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:49 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Do a solid axle swap on your Blazer, throw a couple of lockers in and you are done.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 AM
blajeans is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Do a solid axle swap on your Blazer, throw a couple of lockers in and you are done.
I really like the Blazer, I think itīs much more good lookin then the GC but itīs pretty hard to find good stuffs to them in Sweden.
If I should switch to a solid axle, why and what axle should I look for? I looked at lockers but dont know wich axles I got on my Blazer? Ive been looking at Auburn ECTED locker.
Is there any "standard" upgrade to do on the Blazer? Im meaning is there any tougher parts on other Chevys to use?

Iīve been looking at the Cherokee but I think itīs missing some comfort to the GC and they dont have the V8 ...

Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

A front axle out of a Jeep is the most common swap. Adapt the Blazer unit bearings to a front axle out of a Jeep GC or Wrangler so that you can retain your 5x4.75 bolt pattern and anti-lock brakes.

Quick Reply: rear axle, front axle etc. and sindful thoughts