2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear brake drum removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
ls2fish is on a distinguished road
Default rear brake drum removal

Hey everybody.

I have a 95 blazer, 4dr, 4wd.... and my brakes have been screechin and screaming for a couple weeks now. I thought it might be the fronts, but when I pulled off the front wheels, both of the pads have plenty of life left. So I wanted to take off the rear drums...

..but I can't get the damn drums off.

I tried searching the forums, I tried searching google, I can't seem to find the answer. I would think that there is some sort of star-shaped adjuester screw like EVERY other drum brake system I've worked on to day, but I can't seem to find a hole where that might be, or a rubber plug covering said hole.

I found a how-to thread for swapping out the rears with a newer blazer for the disc brakes, but the pictures were all missing (the thread was made in 05).

If there is another thread that answers this already that I just couldn't find, I'll happily delete this one. I just couldn't find the answer and I'm getting fairly aggrivated with these brakes.

Thanks for the help, pictures would be awesome if you have them.

....oh and hi, first post heh

Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remove rear drums

Welcome to a very useful site.
Most drum brakes have an oval shaped knock-out in the lower part of the backing plate. You may have to wire brush the dirt and corrosion away to see it. It's about 1/4" high by about 1" long. Use a small chisel to knock out the middle. Most auto parts stores sell the rubber plugs to fill the hole when the job is complete. Rarely, the drum may have a knock out in its outside surface.
Use one screwdriver to push the adjusting arm toward the outside of the car and a second screwdriver to rotate the wheel. One side is right and the other is left handed.
The hub may be corroded to the drum also. Generous rust buster together with some taps on the drum may be needed. Tap the outer perimeter of the drum towards the axle.

Last edited by Mammys Car; 07-24-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Details
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
ls2fish is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mammys Car
Welcome to a very useful site.
Most drum brakes have an oval shaped knock-out in the lower part of the backing plate. You may have to wire brush the dirt and corrosion away to see it. It's about 1/4" high by about 1" long. Use a small chisel to knock out the middle. Most auto parts stores sell the rubber plugs to fill the hole when the job is complete. Rarely, the drum may have a knock out in its outside surface.
Use one screwdriver to push the adjusting arm toward the outside of the car and a second screwdriver to rotate the wheel. One side is right and the other is left handed.
The hub may be corroded to the drum also. Generous rust buster together with some taps on the drum may be needed. Tap the outer perimeter of the drum towards the axle.
Awesome info, thank you. Hopefully the rust shouldn't be too bad, I bought the truck with only 73k wiles on it last year, I'm at about 80k now.

I'll take pics once I find it for anybody else as incapable as I am.... but I'll have to get at it tomorrow. Night shift FTL.