2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Hatch Glass or tailgate wont open

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
coplinb is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Rear Hatch Glass or tailgate wont open

Hey everybody, been quite a while since I last posted, but Ive lurked every now and then for some basic help, kinda miss everyone's wisdom. Well after 3 days of searching all over the threads and reading I think every rear hatch thread, I still cant find an answer that helps. OK, so its a 2001 2dr and the other day, the dash button and window button to open the glass was working, then when I went to get back into it, it wouldn't. The fuse is good, and I can hear the actuator moving, but the glass is not popping, there for I cant drop the tailgate. I have removed the small area on the tailgate trim that exposes a blue plastic piece, when I push either button, I see it moving in and slowly moving out, but it doesn't pop the glass open. I am in the middle of trying to remove the whole trim piece that is on the tailgate, but I'm not sure if that's possible without breaking something. My questions are, can I remove that whole trim piece on the tailgate and how, and is that blue piece of plastic supposed to be connected to anything, because it appears that the moving part of the piece isn't connected to anything. Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to make sure I put it all out there. Please Blazer gurus, help me out, I'm totally in the dark on this one and can not figure out any way to release the glass!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The blue piece of plastic is attached to the latch for the glass. It should be pulling on an arm inside there.

Take some pictures of where you are reaching through and what you see when you look through there. Some people have never seen the access hole and some trucks do not have it.

As far as being able to remove the cover without breaking anything, I doubt it. Some have just broken the tab where it is held on near the latch at the top and fished around in there to pop the glass.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an article from awhile back that describes the repair procedure quite well. I recently had the Chevy dealer repair mine under extended warranty and however they did it, you can't tell any difference in the looks of the cover panel, so popping it without damage is possible.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
coplinb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, thanks for the input guys, but I just got my Hulk on and finally tore the trim off the tail gate, after that I was able to unlatch everything, find the blue plastic piece and fix it. Problem solved. Thanks for all the post though, it def. pointed me in the right direction. And yes, I had to break some of the trim, but I only cracked it and then I glued it back together and colored over it with a 'charcoal' colored marker, good as new.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:10 PM
stoneyj is on a distinguished road

I just joined this forum for this very problem on a 98 model. I checked out the article you mentioned but it would be darn nice to see those images. I just bought this vehicle and still getting around to knowing it.