2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear hatch would not open

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't trying to move the blue arm, you are trying to move the lever it attaches to. Just be patient with it and fish around. It doesn't take a lot of force.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Beginning Member
Pinrod33 is on a distinguished road

I think I might see the very top of the gold lever you're probably talking about, but from the access point it's just a round head and no way to push left or right. Could it have rolled downwards and what I see is the "bottom" of the lever?

Old 11-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member

Dammit, I'm trying to get the picture of what I'm looking at here, but I guess I can't do it from my iphone

Old 11-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That lever arm shown in the picture above next to the broken blue piece actually hits another arm connected to the window latch.

Your gold arm may be pushed towards the driver side more. A piece of coat hanger may help in getting it back over to where you can get at it with a screw driver.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member

Alright, here is the picture of what I can see through the access whole below the "hump" in the middle

rear hatch would not open-photo.jpg

Last edited by Pinrod33; 11-06-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

The gold arm will be off to the right. Like I said, you may have to fashion up a hook out of a coat hanger to reach in and move that arm back into view.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member

I'm going to try the hanger in the morning, thank you very much for all your advice

Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member
Gearhead52 is on a distinguished road

Something I found just today while trying to find out why mine was blowing fuses was on a 97 it's #2 fuse on the end of the dashboard and the darn cigarette lighter had a short in it. The courtesy light fuse has the horn relay, cigarette lighter, dome lights and the rear hatch together with it. The horn relay was not indicated in any of the manuals I found.
To find the short I jumped accross the fuse with a light bulb to give it a load to burn off and disconnected parts that were in the circut until the light went dim and the horn relay started buzzing. On my second try I moved the lighter socket and the light bulb went dim. Found it. My rear hatch and dome lights work again.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Starting Member
Jerry Craig is on a distinguished road

I was on a few weeks ago and someone give the site I could order an Acuator for my 99 Blazer for around $13. Does anyone know what the site is?

Jerry

Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry I never got back on here to give an update, but the hanger worked like a charm. Thank you very much Swartlkk. I really didn't like my chances trying to get the arm to swing up with a hanger in that tight spot, but it worked perfectly. I have been too lazy to replace the actuator, but at least I'm able to reach the lever from the back seat and open the hatch on the few times that I do need to get in there

Quick Reply: rear hatch would not open