2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear wheel bearing removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member
wetbar is on a distinguished road
Default rear wheel bearing removal

Hi, I have a 2000 Blazer the old s10. I replaced the front hub and brakes, but cant seem to figure out how to do the rear. I removed the brakes but cant get the rotor off. I thought there would be a cap or cover at the end of the rotor/hub, like I have seen in other cars. I have been told I have to go though the rear end (hoggs head) to get to this. Is that correct? seems like that is a lot of work to replace a weelbearing that is right behing the rotor, or is that where it is?

Is the rotor just stuck or do I need to do something else before it comes off?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Inside the rear disk is the parking brake which is a drum style brake. A rust ring can build up behind the parking brake shoe causing the rotor to be very difficult to remove. You basically have to work the rotor out while turning it to try to force the shoe past the rust ring.

After that you have to pull the rear diff cover (diff lube will pour out). Then you will have to pull the cross shaft out of the differential to finally get at the c-clips and remove the axle.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if you look on the backing plate there is a little rubber gromet that you can pull off. its just big enough to put a screw driver in there. sometimes you have to adjust the emegerncy brake adjuster in to pull the pads inward to release pressure against the rotor to help remove the rotor. if the rotor aint budging at all then its probably rusted to the axle shaft it self. theres been times ive had to sledge hammer them off.

just went through this yesterday with a dakota. all the hardware fell apart and was locking up the wheel in reverse

Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Some do not have the hole. On those, if you really cannot get the rotor off without destroying things, the service manual details the removal of a wheel stud to then adjust the parking brake.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member

Is this something I can do at my house? I'm prety mechanical, and I have the room to tear this thing down, but if there are a bunch of little parts that have to come out and go in a certian way and at a certian time Maybe it is not a good idea I do it.

Once again thanks for the help!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Administrator

It isn't really that difficult. If you have the G80 RPO code for the locking rear differential, then it can be a bit more challenging to get the C-clips out, but neither cases are that bad to deal with.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Beginning Member

ok where can I get the "G80 Pro code for the locking rear diff"?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Administrator

RPO = Regular Production Option
The RPO code list is located inside the glove box. This list details all of the options your truck came with.

You can also use the VIN decoder on CompNine.com.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member

ok I checked the website and the chart in the glove box - no G80, so that is easer right? I think I can do this I will start later tongiht and let yall know how it goes. Thanks do much for the help! Hey one last question it will be obvios when I see these c clips right? . . and just pull to pull them out?

Last edited by wetbar; 05-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member

I have the dif cover off and took the big bolts off the (what I will call the holder clamps or something) I think I can see the bearing but how do I get them out? You said pull out the "cross shaft", where is that? how do I get it out? I see a little box with gears in it and a bigger geared wheel, but that seem solid.

MY last question is how do I put oil or greese back on the diff?

Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: rear wheel bearing removal