2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear wheel bearing repair kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Starting Member
Marcin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear wheel bearing repair kit

Hi

My question is stupid. My friend bought rear wheel bearing repair kit (see photo). My question is how to install it? What is outside side (wheel side) and what is inside side (diff side)? Is it possible to install it olny one side? I need to aske these questions before removing old bearing so maybe my question is stupid and is only one possible way to put it on the axle?

Regards, Marcin

Attached Thumbnails rear wheel bearing repair kit-lozysko.jpg  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The rubber seal goes to the outside (wheel side).

Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Starting Member

Thank you

Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Starting Member

Hi

Now my friend has installed the bearing set. But I am not sure if it is installed correctly, should part of the bearind be visible outside? See photo below (sorry for quality).

Regards, Marcin

Attached Thumbnails rear wheel bearing repair kit-dsc00174.jpg  

Last edited by Marcin; 03-25-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What did the old one look like? To me, that does not look right.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Starting Member

Old one looks different but original bearing is not so wide. Repair kit is wider and maybe it should be mounted like this, but I am not sure.

Regards, Marcin

Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

If things were shorter with the original... This may be the "problem solver" type

IIRC, there are two different wheel bearing designs. One with a bearing and a separate seal which is the stock configuration. The other is what is called a "problem solver" bearing which is an assembly with the bearing and seal in one. This moves the seal out further on the axle shaft so it can run on a portion of the axle that was not previously worn down from the seal, etc.

I would have cleaned up the axle in that area a bit more though. And definitely make sure that it is pressed into the axle housing all of the way.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member
hcii is an unknown quantity at this point

swartlkk is correct....

The rear wheel bearing repair kit is to put the seal and part of the bearing rollers on a different part of the axle.

Sometimes, when a rear wheel bearing is leaking, it is likely caused by a worn bearing. However, the axle is notorious for wear as well. If you just replace the original bearing and seal with an OEM part, since the axle is worn also, the problem will re-surface very quickly especially as far as the leaking seal.

The bearing "repair kit" is a one-piece design that incorporates the seal and bearing together, and moves it slightly to the outside of the original.

What I see in the pics looks correct.

HCII

Last edited by hcii; 03-25-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Starting Member

It is something you call "problem solver". Thanks for advice.

Regards, Marcin