2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear window and tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Beginning Member
sleonh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear window and tailgate

1997 Blazer S-10. Cannot open the tailgate window or tailgate. I can hear the actuator but nothing happens. I need to know exactly how to get it open so I can take the plastic off and get to the actuator. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Beginning Member
Default RE: Rear window and tailgate

I found a small hole in the carpet right in the middle just below where the plastic piece is. I put a screwdriver in and moved it toward the passenger side. I could hear the actuator of something but it did not release the window. Now what?

Sleonh

Old 03-17-2005, 04:00 PM
kmsaaigner is an unknown quantity at this point

how did you figure it out ?...same problem here...any suggestions?

Old 03-17-2005, 04:25 PM

I wonder if this is a flaw on the "97's

Old 03-17-2005, 07:12 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

i have a 97 and i havent had any prob nether had the prev(origional) owner.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Beginning Member

I went to a local chev. dealer/shop. Told them the problem. The service advisor checked the computer for the Chev. bale out sight, but he was not succesful and had to admit that he had no idea what to do. He was a young gun. He sought the advice of the old schooler mechanic. He, the old gun, was in a training session and the service guy went in and asked about this. He told the service guy that they had just tackled the same problem in the last week. They had to pull back the plastic to expose the latch and actuators. I asked the service guy to have the mechanic call me but he never called me back. I guess I should NOT have told the service guy that I wanted a quote to JUST have the window latch released. I figured I can repair the actuator myself. For the other job the service guy told me that the mechanic said that he was able to do the work from the interior and it took around 2 hours to pry the plastic, take out the acutator and to release the latch. I have pried the plastic back and put in a piece of wood. I have a mirror and can look down in but I cannot see very far in nor do I know what I am looking for. They also told me that they informed their customer that the plastic might be destroyed while pulling it back to expose whatever they were looking for. They told me that if they break the back panel it costs about $185. I had an idea that might work and I will try. I am going to cut the metal U shaped 3/16" or so piece that is attached to the window and is being held captive by the actuator holding mechanism. I can do this with my newly order sawsall. This will free up the window. I can then remove the plastic because it is being held by screws on the sides. I will have the metal U shaped piece brazed back on and presto.... I have seen some chatter in other sights that the acuator repair simple. I will see. If anyone can add anything additional or make corrections to what I see please let us know. I would like to get some feed back before I do what I have described. Comments welcome

Old 03-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Well, we finally got ours fixed. I called the chevy company and they looked up my problem. With no ideas or answers from them we turned to our small town auto shop and they said it would take a certain tool to take off the plastic to get to the problem. They had the tool and took a look. What they found was a broken piece and they had to replace the whole solenoid (thats what the bill said). The broken part went to work with my husband...he shows it to everyone and says look what $52 will buy ya. Our total bill came out to $197.81 after labor parts and tax, but everthing works and they didn't have to break or "getto" anything. Can't complain though, it was a real inconvenance trying to load or unload groceries, tools or the stroller.