2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Interior lighting issues, cluster, radio, assorted other stuff

Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
drumminsoul is on a distinguished road
Default Interior lighting issues, cluster, radio, assorted other stuff

Hi All!

Am I ever glad I've found this forum because I've got some serious interior lighting issues with my loaded 2005 4x4 Blazer 4.3L and its making me crazy! From what I've seen here I know the members can help me out. I bought the truck new and it's been regularly maintained, usually by the dealer, so I've been the only owner. I honestly love it, its been great BUT I can't even begin to tell you the amount of interior bulbs that are burnt out in my Blazer. (FYI, I have not installed any aftermarket electrical equipment, so it's not me!)

First of all the instrument cluster only lights up on one side so I'm going to either get a rebuilt unit and swap it for mine or try and fix it myself. before I can do that I need some one to explain to me how I remove the cluster. I know some here knows. Please help!!

The factory radio has more bulbs burnt out in the buttons then ones that actually light up! I want to get it fixed if it can be fixed or find the exact same replacement. Is it repairable? I really don't want an aftermarket unit. This one works fine I just can't see what I'm doing!

The steering wheel radio controls have already been replaced, once while under warrantee, and I've had to replace them since. Now once again I've got the right side not working! I need help with the installation of the new one. Anyone able to explain what I have to do so I don't have to pay the dealer again.

Lastly, I think, I have a bulb burnt out in my power door lock switch. The bulb for the switch is removable, but can I actually buy those small twist and lock bulbs anywhere? Does the dealer or anyone else have them? Does anyone know the model number of these bulbs? Maybe theres a good internet soursce or supplier for these bulbs etc.,.

GM makes it very difficult to fix these things and I can't afford to keep paying dealer repair prices for the sake of a bulb if I can get help to do it myself.

This forum is very knowledgable about Blazer issues, I sure hope you can help

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2005 Chevy Blazer 4x4
4.3L Vortec

Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't replace the instrument cluster for some burnt out bulbs. Just replace them, it's alot cheaper. I'll let someone with a later year tell you how to remove the dash.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not double post as such an activity is prohibited by the rules of the forum. A simple bump of your other post (which has now been removed) would have been sufficient.

As far as the lights, the cluster is fairly easy to replace the bulbs in. The details on pulling the dash apart should be in the Audio/Video section somewhere. You can remove the radio at the same time as you are removing the cluster.

The radio needs much more care and is more difficult, but still quite possible. I recently re-bulb'd the HVAC controls in my '04 Tahoe due to burnt out bulbs. The power door lock switch can also be taken apart to get to the bulbs and replace them. With both the radio & the power window switch, I think you will find that the bulbs are soldered in. If you are not comfortable desoldering the connections or dismantling these components, then you may not want to attempt the repair.