2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
gserve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear wiper

2000 Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 with rear wiper. The wiper seems to be getting stuck sometimes and making loder than normal gear noises.Is this an easy fix for a DIYer? Thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 06:42 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: rear wiper

I have the same problem, but now it doesnt even work so I think I am going to have to replace the motor which looks like a pain on the liftgate version (non-tailgate version). Anybody help us with this?? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Replacement is pretty straight forward on both the rear lift gate version and the tailgate version. While it is easier on the tailgate only because the tailgate flips down. But for the lift gate, just close yourself inside with the glass open and so long as you have all of the proper tools with you, you should be all set.

Anyway, remove the trim and you should see the motor right there. You have to first remove the wiper arm from the back, but it is pretty self explanitory once you get in there.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Beginning Member
gserve is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I remove the wiper arm and inside trim? I have the liftgate. Thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get the liftgate open, remove all screws you can see. There are two that are kind of inconspicuous. One is on the pull handle and the other is at the window latch (accessed with the window open). Once the screws are out, the panel is now only retained by clips. Slowly work around the outside edge releasing the clips with either a long screwdriver or a trim panel removal tool.

As far as the wiper motor itself goes, remove the wiper arm retaining nut. Remove the wiper arm. Remove the spacer. Then remove the electrical connection to the wiper motor and the two retaining bolts holding the motor to the liftgate.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

The rear wiper is DIY serviceable. The motor should be fine. I suspect that the wiper shaft that passes through a sleeve to the outside of the vehicle, that the wiper arm attaches to, has seized in the sleeve. You can take the gear housing apart, tap out the shaft, sand it clean, lube it with a good water resistant grease, then re-assemble it. I did mine and it works fine now. I too was getting the gear chatter, which was the wiper motor driven gear clicking on the stuck gear of the actuator arms that is supposed to move the shaft. It's not hard to fix ay all. Just take your time. Good Luck.