2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear wiper doesn't work - need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 AM
xxchuncexx is on a distinguished road
Default Rear wiper doesn't work - need help

Hello, I have a 2000 Blazer LS and the rear wiper hasn't worked since I got it. I pulled the rear door apart and got the motor out. I was checking for voltage, and only had power at the orange wire.
I bought a new motor, and it still does not work. Can anyone tell me, where to check for grounds, where I should have power, and how to test the old motor?

Also is it possible the switch is bad?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

The only way to test the motor is to have it installed and the door closed. The rear glass also needs to be closed, but you can fake that by tripping the latch with a screwdriver. There are lots of interlocks to keep you from running the wiper when the back isn't buttoned up.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Ah ha. So I guess I have to put the new motor in and put it all together. Well that sucks!
Now my question is, could it be one of those switches that is bad...say the glass switch thinking it's not closed?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your interior lights would stay on if one of the switches was bad. The switch in the dash is easy enough to test with a multimeter.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 PM

What should it read?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Continuity as a start, but then resistance as well. Here's the schematic:

Attached Thumbnails Rear wiper doesn't work - need help-2000_rearwiper_sch.gif  
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xxchuncexx
Ah ha. So I guess I have to put the new motor in and put it all together. Well that sucks!
You don't have to put it *all* together. You can just mount the motor to the plate, then mount the motor and plate to the tailgate. You can leave the other covers off of it.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 AM

I put it back together, and the motor still does not work. I've confirmed that the dome light does not stay on, so the other switches are working. The dash fuse is good. I have power to the orange wire, but no others. please help me figure this out!
I appreciate all the help so far.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Have you tested the switch? Have you tested continuity on the wiring?

Here is the diagnostic chart for an INOP rear wiper:

Attached Thumbnails Rear wiper doesn't work - need help-2000_rearwpr_inop_diag1of2.gif   Rear wiper doesn't work - need help-2000_rearwpr_inop_diag2of2.gif  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:22 PM

What is repair CKT 391,393? I tested the switch and have power @ c. Tested the wiring and have no power @ b. Step 6 is repair high resistance CKT 391,393 or wiper cut out switch....I'm getting there.

Quick Reply: Rear wiper doesn't work - need help