2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Remote and dash switch won't open tailgate glass.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
MoneyPItJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remote and dash switch won't open tailgate glass.

99 GMC Jimmy 2dr...I have the dash mounted tailgate switch which makes the rear latch hum but never opened it since I've had this rig...so I've always had to use my keyless remote.
Now the liftgate glass won't open, and all I get is that sound that the thing is humming and powering to release the latch, but it doesn't do it? Any thoughts on how to remedy this issue? Now I can't get into the back of my truck, and I use it for taking large packages to UPS often..

Thanks
Aaron

Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Remote and dash switch won't open tailgate glass.

Doing a 'search' yielded a lot of posts on this subject. Try this threadand see if the info helps out.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, sounds like the plastic arm has broken on the latch for the rear glass. If you have the glass up, tailgate down configuration, you'll have to either drill the cover or break the tab off near the latch to get into the tailgate enough to pop the glass.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks guys..
This will be like the millionth..little bitty issue I've had to fix on this thing...
I also noted this evening that someone must have backed into my tire carrier and slightly pushed in the sheet metal on the tailgate around the gate mounted bracket for the tire carrier...[:@]

Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 AM
carlo is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually had this issue on my blazer also. What it was, was the rear latch motor had seized so it still makes the sound but the motor cannot unlatch the glass. I tried replacing it myself but it is kind of hard working in the trunk so I just took it in to my mechanic. It was about 200 bucks after labour soi hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM

Man that's just too much these days....

Well I'll do it myself..
BTW...I've always hated the tire carrier...you can't see out the back worth a dang, and the rear wiper is exactly the circumfrence of the tire carrier..what gives???

ORIGINAL: carlo

I actually had this issue on my blazer also. What it was, was the rear latch motor had seized so it still makes the sound but the motor cannot unlatch the glass. I tried replacing it myself but it is kind of hard working in the trunk so I just took it in to my mechanic. It was about 200 bucks after labour soi hope this helps.