2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

remote oil line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default remote oil line replacement

Hey All,

Well, I'm dealing with a pretty serious oil leak again from the lines between the engine and oil filter, as well as some weeping from the lines to the radiator/cooler. This after having new OE lines and all related gaskets/seals replaced. Frustrated just starts to describe my feelings on this.

SO, I salvaged the old set of lines, and recall reading about other fixes owners have used to replace the lines. I was considering maybe picking up some of the aftermarket braided hose, and using compression fittings attach that to the metal ends of the OE lines. I figure that has got to be as good if not better, than the OE crimped connection, which I've read about a fair amount of failures on the forum.

Think this is a solution that can work? I know some have custom hydraulic hoses made for their applications, but I'd rather find a way to solve it on my own if possible. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I just used tranny line and regular clamps...been on there for years and still dry. Cost 20.00
There is a how to floating arouns the net...cant remeber the site. But it is easy to do. I was able to leave the alum end inplace while i swapped out the rubber portions. I used a drummel to carefully cut the oem pressed fittings off. Then slide on the tranny hose and clamps. Piece of cake.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
spittybays

Not sure but I think this is the one warthog is speaking of.
Repair your leaky oil cooler lines!! - S-SeriesForum.com

Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 PM
mcridge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spittybays
Not sure but I think this is the one warthog is speaking of.
Repair your leaky oil cooler lines!! - S-SeriesForum.com
Thanks for the link! I have replaced the oil filter lines on my '89 S-10 Blazer with OEM lines twice and was thinking about trying something similar, since the OEM lines start leaking fairly quickly. I have a friend with a '96 S-10 Blazer with similar problems and I'm going to try to convince him to let me help him replace the hoses as shown.

Question: How hard is it to get to the engine side of the hoses on a '96? I had to use a fairly long extension to reach the bolt on my '89, but otherwise no problem. We're wondering about the '96.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member
Double d is on a distinguished road

that was a great link on repairing those lines spittybays thanks a bunch...

Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
mcridge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
I just used tranny line and regular clamps...been on there for years and still dry. Cost 20.00
There is a how to floating arouns the net...cant remeber the site. But it is easy to do. I was able to leave the alum end inplace while i swapped out the rubber portions. I used a drummel to carefully cut the oem pressed fittings off. Then slide on the tranny hose and clamps. Piece of cake.
I'm with you. I helped a friend make a repair and we didn't even replace the hose, just cut through the swaged sleeve, slipped the hose back on and used screw clamps. Working fine. I also noted that even though the oil filter has been moved to a position under the radiator or behind the bumper on the '96, the engine connection is still back in an awkward location, where I'd have had to use a long extension to get to the bolts. Otherwise, just like the '89 as far as I can tell. BTW, the original '89 connections at the filter block used o-rings, the OEM replacement oil lines use a synthetic grommet with a clamped on washer. Be sure to get some and keep extras in your tool box, as the o-rings no longer worked (Lots of oil over the engine compartment after about 10 minutes).

Old 01-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the connection at the engine is not leaking, there's no sense in removing the rear half of the line assembly. You can pull the fan shrouds and fan clutch off and get right at the crimp connections. Don't know as I'd trust my engine to hose clamps though, if one lets loose at 70mph, it'll barf the oil out in a heartbeat! Hydraulic compression fittings and hose is good for 1500psi no problem.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I did mine with fuel line and hose clamps. It made me kinda nervous, though. I put two clamps on the end of each line, though, and so far it's been great. Almost a year, now, and not a single drop of leaked oil.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver

Sir,
I've been reading on doing this to my Blazer. I just replaced the lines a little over a year ago, you guessed it, leaking again. Some place I read said to use the NAPA oil cooler line and not the tranny line. I see you used tranny line. What's the deal or the difference? Also, my line is 13/32" and not 1/2". 3/8" line seems to make a better, tighter fit. If "mandatory" I'll use the NAPA oil cooler hose vs tranny line. What's your thoughts on this?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I used ear clamps on mine almost 3 years ago. Replaced the hose with hydraulic hose from the local Fluid Power shop. I trust them more than the usual gear style clamps.

Quick Reply: remote oil line replacement