2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

removing fan clutch from water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 PM
vegie_2 is on a distinguished road

I used a small pipe wrench, With the belt on put wrench on big nut and standing directly in front of it hit it to your left counterclockwise and it comes right off!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:04 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

if only it was that easy...had to put a chain wrench on the pully of mine along with a big wrench and two guys pulling to get it loose

Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Starting Member
fd32028 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1996 blazer..and i would like two no the best way to change my water pump.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member
wisowebs is on a distinguished road

Here is a good thread... Should be close to your 96.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-24597/

Have at er

Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 AM
dsevern is on a distinguished road

I just did mine last weekend.
The tool you can rent from a parts store wasn't exactly self-explanatory, but a friend and I eventually figured it out.
If you back out 2 of the bolts on the water pump pulley far enough so that the tool slides under the head of the bolts and then the tool will slide on top of the head of the other 2 bolts on the pulley. Then tighten the 2 bolts, you backed out, enough to hold the tool in place.
I wish I could draw you a picture or better had taken one.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by dsevern; 08-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crickkevin
Are the threads standard righty tighty? Or are they reversed threads?
Depends on the application... that is which direction WP rotates.
On a Ranger/Aerostar 3.0L for example, the WP spins CW so the nut is reverse threaded.

On ours the WP rotates CCW, {so any slippage on the attach nut would tighten it.}

- I was sure I remembered that so I searched both aerostar and 'blazer 4.3 belt diag' in google images and - voila-

Short cut: Pulley smooth = CCW rotation; pulley ribbed = CW rotation

Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM
NorCalSS is on a distinguished road

Hey guys great site. Ive been a member since 09 but this is my first post. I searched and read the site for all the answers I have needed.

I just changed my water pump and the tool needed for the fan clutch I got from auto zone and it didnt work.

I just wanted to share my solution for people to find in future searches.
I used a metal bracket strap and screwed one end to the pump pulley and the other to an empty screw hole above the top pulley. The empty screw hole is the same size as the pulley bolts so you can pull one of those and use it. After the strap was attached I used a big wrench with a breaker bar attached and very easily turned the fan clutch counter clockwise and took it off. No banging or anything :-).

Anyways here is the pic and hope it helps people in the future.

98 Blazer 4.3L 4wD

Joe

Last edited by NorCalSS; 09-17-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
jay blaze is on a distinguished road

Hey guys...great info....I have tried this today and tbh I had no luck on the contrary the darn nut on the fan clutch is beginning to strip....I had the tools from the parts store to hold the WP shaft and one to break off the nut.....so I decided to give up since I am working out in the rain....Hoping I can get a pipe wrench or adjustable wrench (anyone know best size to use?) and a mallet to knock it loose...I really would hate to have to pay to get it done but just sucks that nut is stripping on me

Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
jay blaze is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NorCalSS
Hey guys great site. Ive been a member since 09 but this is my first post. I searched and read the site for all the answers I have needed.

I just changed my water pump and the tool needed for the fan clutch I got from auto zone and it didnt work.

I just wanted to share my solution for people to find in future searches.
I used a metal bracket strap and screwed one end to the pump pulley and the other to an empty screw hole above the top pulley. The empty screw hole is the same size as the pulley bolts so you can pull one of those and use it. After the strap was attached I used a big wrench with a breaker bar attached and very easily turned the fan clutch counter clockwise and took it off. No banging or anything :-).

Anyways here is the pic and hope it helps people in the future.

98 Blazer 4.3L 4wD

Joe

Sorry to beat a dead horse but where can I find a strap like this or even this one....I went to lowes today but nothing like that .....need one ASAP lol thanks....

Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
NorCalSS is on a distinguished road

Blaze,

I had that strap laying around on a shelf in my garage. You should be able to find it in the building section at lowes/home depot. They are mostly used as support for things being attached to studs or walls. If you have bailing wire that would work too. Just back out the pump bolt and wrap the wire around it and then wrap it around the bolt you put on the top.

Its the same method as I posted except you would be using the wire instead.

Quick Reply: removing fan clutch from water pump