2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Removing passenger side CV shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Eric0072 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removing passenger side CV shaft

Never done this before on an S10 blazer, what has to be taken loose? do I have to remove the whole spindle or can I just take out the axle nut and remove it that way somehow? I would prefer not to have to take the ball joints loose as thats a whole nother set of problems. I need to have it swapped in at least 2 days so I dont have time to beat and bang on this thing I need to know how to get it done quik.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Removing passenger side CV shaft

If you remove the wheel bearing assembly, the CV shaft should be able to pass right through the steering upright.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 PM
IronHide is an unknown quantity at this point

so if you remove the axle nut and the wheel bearing the half shaft will just slide out? some responses in other threads mention impact wrenches, pickle forks , the removal of the steering knuckle, the shock. I guess Ill find out in the morning since i have almost the same issue.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I thought there would be room... The book method shows popping the upper ball joint and flopping the knuckle out. Must have been one of my other vehicles where you could remove the half shaft through the knuckle.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Eric0072 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my buddies is a manager at Autozone, he actually reccommended thier website...i diddnt know that they had this type of info on there but its a pretty handy FAQ for anyone else needing to complete this.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c152800a14b1

Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive done it on a 92 on both sides, it cant be much different .take off the break caliper, take the bottom shock bolt out, undo the upper ball joint take off the axle nut... and your going to need an air powered impact wrench to undo the shaft bolts. (i completely fried a brand new craftsman electric impact doing both sides) after that it just slides right out.

EDIT: just read the autozone instructions and no need to take the tie rod off on the 92... doubt you will need to on our 2nd gens either.