2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replaced All Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Replaced All Shocks

Today I replaced all four shocks with KYB Mono Max; thought only the RR OEM Bilstein was shot, but all of them were....what a huge difference in ride and even ride height!!

Have to yell at myself for not changing out the OEM shocks several years ago, just thought they were fine until I saw the RR had leaked. If it were not for that I probably would not have changed them.....bad, bad, LannyL81.....you should have known better....!!!

If anyone else has not changed-out the OEM shocks.....get busy!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:56 AM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

About how long did entire job take (to include beer breaks..lol)?

Pretty simple and straightforward?

Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I changed mine with some cheapo Gabriel shocks from Advance. The rear and passenger front were gravy. I had to pay a shop to do the driver's front because the bolt was seized in the shock sleeve. I would have done it myself but for $50 it was easier to just pay it. However, those are the worst shocks ever, they are worse than whatever was on there in the first place. How do you like the KYBs?

Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Brian Hinzpeter is on a distinguished road

i went with rancho 5000 for the front and rear and they are awesome

Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM
LoneWolf71 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Today I replaced all four shocks with KYB Mono Max; thought only the RR OEM Bilstein was shot, but all of them were....what a huge difference in ride and even ride height!!

Have to yell at myself for not changing out the OEM shocks several years ago, just thought they were fine until I saw the RR had leaked. If it were not for that I probably would not have changed them.....bad, bad, LannyL81.....you should have known better....!!!

If anyone else has not changed-out the OEM shocks.....get busy!
Nice, what made you choose these shocks? I am looking to change mine and wondering what the best ones out there are.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Lets see...the task took me about 3 hours to do but that included talking to the neighbor working on his son's motorcycle...so that was a good 30 minutes.

Pretty much a straightforward job....fronts were easier than rear. I raised the front end, jack stands under frame and also removed the front sway bar link bolts so I could get the bottom shock bolt out.

I also put a jack under the lower control arm to take tension off of the shock bolts and to limit travel when shock was removed.

Driver's side upper shock mount has brake lines in front of bolt; removed the brake line clamp bolt on top of upper shock mount so I could move the lines just enough to get bolt out.

On the rears I used a floor jack under the trailer hitch to lift body up as high as I could to give more me more elbow room. Of course new shocks were at full extension so I put upper bolts in first then used a floor jack to compress shock and got the bottom bolt in.

Cannot believe what a difference these new shocks have made in the ride and handling. Yes it is a bit more stiffer but just so nice.

I was going to go with the new Monroe design shocks, but have used KYBs in the past and was always pleased with them. Price was about the same between the two, so went with KYBs. Read where others were pleased with the Monroe, so probably either a good choice.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I might consider the KYBs for the front at least for now. My blazer is a nightmare to drive, every bump and hill and it bounces for several yards. Where did you get yours? I looked at Amazon but the only KYB Mono max shocks they have listed are for the front or for 2WD.

Last edited by Tajohns34; 02-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:07 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Has anyone found a source for the OEM style Bilstein shocks? I like them , but I bet they are pricey. I am still on the original Bilsteins at 100K miles. LannyL81, what was your Blazer's mileage when you changed shocks?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member
Rivelite is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not, while looking for new wheels for my ZR2 I came across Bilstein shocks on the Tire Rack's website. There is even a drop down for ZR2 specific blazers which shows the Bilstein for front and back. They also have the KYBs...

Last edited by Rivelite; 02-15-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Tajohns, have you looked at RockAuto parts? They may have it.

Quick Reply: Replaced All Shocks