2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

replaced radiator AGAIN now 72 hr ltr leak at waterpump area when engines OFF, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy replaced radiator AGAIN now 72 hr ltr leak at waterpump area when engines OFF, HELP!!

I have a 95 blazer LS 2dr 4wd 4.3 vortec engine with 202k miles and repeated issues with the cooling system. Since the 1st week of feb I have replaced my fan clutch, thermostat, radiator TWICE, flushed the cooling system including the heater core...basically an all new cooling system except a new heater core and new water pump. The brand new radiator installed feb 10th blew out in the corner of the metal part so I once again had to put a new radiator in. After it was installed, I noticed a whine every now and then coming from the bottom and center area of the engine but it was faint and only heard it a couple times. Less than 72 hrs after redoing the radiator, I pulled up at my sisters and when her ol man came in about 10-15 mins later he told me there was water/coolant under my blazer AGAIN!! When I went to look there wasnt very much on the pavement, and of course it wasnt leaking ne more WHEN IT WOULDA HELPED, but it looked like the water pump was the prob since it lookd like it was wet. I had a gentleman frm nearby garage look at it and he agreed that it was water pump as well. And I had no issues with my temp gauge when I was driving it either. I heard from my mechanic last night and he told me that my lower intake gasket is the issue......which Im not sayin its not, but I dont want to have to pay for all that work if its simply the water pump which I have already bought. Ne suggestions?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Where is your mechanic saying the lower intake is leaking? If it is in the front on one of the corners it very well could be a LIM.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Starting Member

He didnt say I cant find a diagram or pic anywhere of that area of the engine/motor so I can look it again (blazer never breaks down at home so its not here for me to look at LOL) and as for what I seen as well as the elder gentleman from the nearby shop the water pump was the only part that had coolant on it. Ive never had a LIM leak before so I dont know what the symptoms are or what to look for or where to look for the problems from one leaking. Ive had lots of cooling system issues and now I wonder if a leaking LIM could have been a factor with the cooling system problems/parts all along?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

As a rule if the water pump is leaking it will becoming from the bottom vent hole on the pump. LIM leaks are a common issue I'm not as familiar with the 95 because it had a different intake system if I remember correctly. Intakes as a rule leak at one of the four corners. If you see fluid on top of the pump a good chance it is an intake leak. But also check all your hoses where they connect to the manifold.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member
NWCoffee1 is on a distinguished road
Wink Engine water leak

Also, check you enging freeze plugs, if one or more are rusted out, you
need to pull the engine block out, to replace the freeze plugs, which
happen to my '95 LS 4.3 4Door 4X4.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The wine suggests to me water pump over intake. When you can look at it see if it is only below the pump or water coming from above it.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member
Moses is on a distinguished road

On my 96 LT I replaced every component in the cooling system and it was indeed the intake manifold gasket that let it run out the back over the trans. The wrench did the valve cover gaskets as part of the job.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Starting Member

A lil update on my blazers "medical problems" I call it....Once my buddy got to lookin there was obvious leakage wet and dry coming from my intake gasket. So he tested it to be sure and well, he was right. So once he began tearing down to change those, he noticed oil leaking from my valve cover gaskets as well, not much but any leak is more than enuf...so he is changing those while he is at it. And Moses, I too have replaced entire cooling system except heater core (flushed it) and waterpump since Oct cause it kept overheating. On my 3rd radiator too! But since I already bought the waterpump, and it hadnt been done yet he is putting the new one on JUST IN CASE! LOL And NECoffee, I too thought of the freeze plugs, but the one that he can easily see looks to just fine, THANK GOODNESS LOL So once it is all put back together, Ill update again to let ya know if the "Doctor" fixed his "patient"....well unless ne more issues arise that is. Thanks so much guys for the help, and as long as I dont have to buy ne new parts for a while I will be ok...wallet is screamin in pain already so it better NOT have ne more issues LOL

Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Beginning Member
Moses is on a distinguished road

The first radiator (made in china) had a faulty connection for the Transmission fluid line. My son was driving it and when he couldn't get drive to engage I called the big toe-truck and had it towed to a trusted mechanic. They removed the bad one and replaced it with a new one I brought them. When I returned the bad one to Auto-Zone and asked them about the extra cost of not doing the R&R labor and they said ya gotta file a claim but it will take 6 months before you hear anything. Well I filed the claim thinking it was a waste of time but what the hell. That was 6 months ago and last week I received a release to sign for $273.00 which was on the bill from the shop that did the R&R! Still waiting to get the check.
Now I have water on the passenger side floor from the A/C condensation. My Son has been 'mudding' and the bottom of our Blazer is caked with mud which apparently has clogged the escape hole for the condensation. Does anybody know where that line is located?

Last edited by Moses; 07-07-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

alot of times the front passenger side leaks and rolls down the waterpump so when you are looking at it from underneath it looks like the water pump gasket is leaking, usually you can see it coming out from the top of the intake, really helps if you can pressurize the system too

Quick Reply: replaced radiator AGAIN now 72 hr ltr leak at waterpump area when engines OFF, HELP!!