2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing camshaft sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
fox59 is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing camshaft sensor

Pulled my codes and got P0340. I did a search and found that it's located around the distributor, but nothing really specific about the exact location. I'm just a shade tree mechanic at best and don't want to get into more than I can handle. Can anyone tell me exactly where it is and whats invoved in replacing it?

Thanks

Forgot to mention it's a 96 4x4 if that helps

Last edited by fox59; 08-07-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

It's located on top of the distrutor if I recall correctly you have to take the cap and rotor off

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is located under the rotor inside the distributor. You have to align the gate in the reluctor ring (what the rotor mounts to) with the head of the CMP sensor, then you should be able to unbolt it and slide it out the side of the distributor.

Some illustrations:

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Beginning Member
cardude59 is on a distinguished road

THANSK A TON!!! I did not have ask the question and you answered it-- you must be psyco .... er.. psyic .

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Keezie is on a distinguished road

Hi, first time posting

This is exactly the kind of thread i'm looking for, although i followed your instructions and i could not for the life of me figure out how to get the cam sensor to line up with the slot you were referring to in order to slide the sensor out

i'm no mechanic by any means, but this seemed like a relatively simple task for me to tackle, and this thread made me confident enough to try, but after i got stuck i had to put everything back together to hopefully try again tomorrow

any help is appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to rotate the motor to be able to get the slot to line up with the CMP sensor.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 PM

i almost hate to ask, but exactly how would i go about doing so?

i've only had this vehicle for a few weeks and i'm still learning a lot, so please pardon the n00bish posts

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Either have someone bump the starter while you watch the distributor shaft with the cap & rotor off of the engine or have someone manually turn the crank using a socket and breaker bar connected to the harmonic balancer retaining bolt located on the front of the engine.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 PM

okay great, thanks a lot! looks like i'll be lookin for some help with this tomorrow!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Starting Member
ravenhurst is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any way to troubleshoot the sensor with a meter to see if it is malfunctioning?

Quick Reply: Replacing camshaft sensor