2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer 4.3 problem stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Beginning Member
sidewheeler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 95 Blazer 4.3 problem stalling

For the past 6 months or so I have had a continuing problem with my Blazer stalling on me. After it sat for a while and cooled down it would start back up and some times you could get back home with it. I replaced the fuel pump, Coil, FPR, Dist cap & wires. still the same problem, sometimes it would run for days with no problem, then wham your dead on the road.
Last week I happened to talk to a guy who said his S-10 pickup had the same problem and he changed the Distributer and it fixed the problem,
Last Thursday I pulled the Dist. and checked the coil in it and found that it was all coming apart with exposed wires. I got a new one from Napa and this baby is running like new. O and by the way if you pull the Dist. you will need to reset the timing, you have to disconnect the tan wire with a blk strip. The books don't tell you where to find this wire---It's on the wire bundle coming from the PCM located under the glove box, you have to take off the lower panel. Hope this helps someone else.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 AM
southernblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 4.3 blazer

mine is doing about the same thing ...although it is a step up for it...i got it used and was told it just need a vacuum line ...well sure it does but ...the MAS was shot and the IAC valve was gone to ...so i replaced them and it runs super compaired to what it was like and idles great ...just one problem ...after running a while it will just start stalling out. SOOoo my next guesses are from what i have read in your post and others and what i am being told it could be ...distributor, EGR valve, catalatic converter, fuel pump, fuel filter or just that satan really likes me and loves seeing me in dispair lol

however your post has givin me a good direction to run with and i guess it's time to start fixing the "high dollar" parts one at a time ...starting with the distributor

my thanks to you from a not so good with motors guy

thanks again

Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member

Well Southernblazer, I was in the same spot as you. I was just looking for someone to give me a direction to go. You didn't say what year you have, but I would start with a fuel pressure check, it should be at 60 lbs. If you have good fuel pressure I would replace the small pickup coil in the dist. it only cost about $10.00 so it's cheap to replace. The problem is that you have to take the top of the intake off to take the dist. out I have done that so many times now I can get it off in about 15 mins. make sure you mark the dist at the block so you don't have to set the timing. no big deal eather way. let me know how it goes.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 PM
taterbugbrown is on a distinguished road

Our 2000 Blazer has been acting in a similar way and after numerous part replacements, its at the dealer for a diagnosis. Depending on what they say, I will still probably bring it back home to fix it.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Goosen1 is on a distinguished road

I have a 97 Blazer and I had the problem of it stalling out and then it would start up again. Until one morning I had nothing! It would kick over and that's it. I couldn't get it out of park or nothing. The problem was the ignition. The pink wire that was in the harness broke out of the ignitions connection. Not a bad fix if you have the patience to deal with all of the wires.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
taterbugbrown is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by taterbugbrown
Our 2000 Blazer has been acting in a similar way and after numerous part replacements, its at the dealer for a diagnosis. Depending on what they say, I will still probably bring it back home to fix it.
Clogged fuel injectors for me. Along with my new fuel pump cutting out. Just gonna let the dealer handle it this time. I changed the pump the first time and don't like the idea of having to do it again.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member

I may be wrong--If I am someone correct me--but I think a 2000 S10 still used a spider injector system. they don't have injectors to get plugged up sounds to me like the dealer is blowing smoke up your???. nice way to make some flat rate bucks + sell you some parts you don't need or service that was not done...Just my thoughts