2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing Intake manifold gasket

Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing Intake manifold gasket

First of I would like to Thank everyone here for the great articles and posts on this subject. I followed all the advice and taking it apart went as smooth as silk. Thanks.

I have time on my hands and like to tinker so while I have it apart, 96 blazer 4wd with a 97 4.3 in it. This was my sons car I bought for him in college and while he was in school he had the worse of worse intake leaks that while on the highway sucked all the water into the engine itself, Thus the 97 that we pulled out of the junk yard in Omaha. Engine now has about 80K on it.

Question is, I am taking my time and cleaning all parts before I put it together, very crudy stuff here. What is the best way to clean the spider unit, lines, injectors , you know, the unit itself before I put it back. Also, what is good to clean the overall lifter valley with , very lot of buildup in there. I am also going to pull the valve covers off, replace the gaskets and probably clean that area when I get to it. This engine has clean and pristine since I had it put in the car in 2001. Due to two things, the oil cooler lines leaking and this manifold leak, oh yes, front and back, the outside of this baby is crappola now.

Thank you all again for the advice on the intake manifold. To all new people, read these articles carefully because they are acurrate and great and do not be afraid to do it, just do it.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
idr
Beginning Member
Default RE: Replacing Intake manifold gasket

By the way, if I can figure out how to post pictures I will on this subject of cleaning the stuff up

Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

For the intake parts them selves I used carb spray cleaner. I had to let some of it soak a while. A tooth brush will help also.

I used oil and flushed the gunk through the lifter valley. It is is too bad, try to capture most of it with a small scraper and rags. From experience if the top end is real gunky, the oil pan is probably full of crap also. If you can take to pan off I would. Mine was full of gunk.

For cleaning all the parts I used some strong soap and water. Something that cuts grease. Make sure to rinse well and dry with an air hose when done.

I am in the middle on a engine R and R now due to leaking intake gaskets. Water in oil = bad bearings.

Good luck...

Old 01-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be careful with the spider. I really do not recommend cleaning this component at all. Some cleaning fluids can damage the nylon tubes that run from the spider to the poppet nozzles.

For cleaning up the lifter valley, I typically use a scraper and a shop vac to lift the crud out. If the lifter valley is full of junk, you probably will want to pull the valve covers and see what it looks like in there. Pulling the pan would not be a bad idea either, however, if the motor is still in the truck, this can be fun.

As far as outside stuff, I use spray on foaming degreaser. Spray it on and let it set for a good half hour, then power wash it off. Repeat as desired. Just do not spray directly on the wiring and as suggested, use a blow gun to dry things off.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
idr
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the answers. I have my shop vac and compressor handy so no problem. The lifter valley is more of a built up "varnish" type of look. Really not to much sludgy sludge at all. I am thinking I am just going to leave it that way as it runs good. Will leave spider alone and only wipe off with a rag what I can and put back in. Should I blow the ends of the nozzles out or leave them? They do look shiny and clean. Again, deep felt thanks from a guy with too much time on his hands.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Xtremestreet is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI
You can buy a spray can of electrical cleaner, it's non conductive and not harmful to wiring. Itdries quickly and removes buildup.