2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

replacing shocks..

Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default replacing shocks..

okay, I know how to replace the rear shocks, but what about the front?? how hard is it to do that? also, im cranking my t-bars and adding shackles, roughly 1.5-2" what shocks do I need to get??

Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: replacing shocks..

Fronts are pretty easy from what I can remember. Just make sure to really crank those bolts down when you install it. On my Bravada when I put in new shocks, I had to crank on the bolts for all I was worth to get the shock tight in the mount on the bottom.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:36 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

As long as you get shocks that have an extra couple inches of travel over stock, I think you should be good...

Old 07-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes the shock's description will tell you what they can handle, like these for example....

Old 07-20-2007, 04:36 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

The fronts arent bad, just more akward. The factory ones on mine were a small challenge only because they didnt want to compress so easily. After grabbing a buddy to help me out the two of us were able to get it out in a matter of seconds. Probably could have done it myself but eh its easier with an extra set of hands.

As for new shocks i would check out specs via summitracing just because they list what works and just how much lift you can use them with. From there find the cheapest price on the web and get to it.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

the fronts are pretty easy. Bolt and a nut on top and bottom. If memory serves me correctly, they are 18mm bolts, and you will need swivel socekts/wrenches. Straight sockets/wrenches are a pain in the butt.

The only thing your doing by cranking the torsion bars is making the spring stiffer. The torsion bar is nothing more then a spring. By turning hte torsion bar you are loading it up, your putting it under tension. That tension is what is raising the truck. The other effects it has is too make your suspension stiffer, harder to trun that spring, and you are changing the geometry of your steering, and other suspenion parts. You are not changing the distanst between the shock mounts by cranking the torsion bars. Stock sized shocks will work. What you are doing is placing the rest of the suspension and steering under extra strain, this WILL lead to premature part failure. Crank if you must.