2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Reset The OBDII

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:40 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road
Default Reset The OBDII

OK wen't by the gm dealer to see how much they would charge me to fix my car.The shop Stuart said they would charge $150.00 so I asked if that was total he said yes plus tax.I asked what he would do he said reset the computer and I asked can't I do that with my code reader he said no the tech may have to write new code into the OBDII and I thought yea rite he is going to disconnect the battery for 30 seconds or so and re hook it up for $150.00 I don't think so.
Would you let them do something like that Captain to reset the computer all you do is disconnect the negative for 30 seconds As far as I know, am I rite so if that's all there doing it,s not really worth it unless there writing in some new code what do you think CAPTAIN you know what I have been through could a reset do the trick or will it be requiring some new code and can a tech even do that.?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

As the Captian has said numerous times in numerous posts, disconnecting the battery does nothing but erase your clock and radio presets...

I really do applaud all the time, effort and attempted thought processes that you have put in to this. However, you were willing to spend $1400 on a scanner. It's been suggested to you to buy the factory service manuals for your model year. The ones I saw for 2003 (I think it was) were over $300 on eBay. Granted those said they were new ones...

So, I know you cancelled the scanner order - very wise chioce! It doesn't sound like you have purchased the factory service manuals. So let's say you decide to get a different $1400 or so scanner that will actually do what you need. And you buy the factory service manuals. You've just dropped $1,700 minimum... Is the blazer fixed yet? NO!

I know there is a pride factor in working on your own vehicle. Especially if something is broken and YOU diagnose the problem and repair it. I feel so awesome about myself afterward. But think about what your time and mental health are worth. How much gas have you gone through doing all these driving cycles? With all due respect, I'm sorry to say it sounds like this one has got you licked. If the Captain lived next door, I'm sure he'd be there in a heart beat to help you. He would have to charge you though cause someone has to pay for his yearly scanner updates...

Man, just take it in to the shop and have them look at it. If by chance, they can fix it for $150.00 - Just think, YOU ARE DONE! If not, have them give you a written estimate for what they think it needs. Run it by the forum, aka the Captain, and get some feedback. Then perhaps with a little direction YOU can fix it. Then find some steps and do the Rocky thing...

Seriously I'm not trying to beat you down here, you just need someone experienced to lay hands on your vehicle. I hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Default The reset OBDII

Yes that does help and thank you for your honesty I am over my head in this one so do me a favor keep eyes open for a set of used gm shop manuals or are they even worth buying used and will they be a lot of help to a DIY er or do you need to be schooled to under stand what's in them.I have a good back yard and garage mechanical history I have done quite a bit on cars ball joints suspension brakes electrical.I even rebuilt a 442 Oldsmobile that through a rod didn't last long through it again should have had that crank polished and or turned.But I am quite intent on keeping my car out of shops when at all able.

GLOSSARY

Assembly Manual- Manual including text and illustrations documenting every step of the factory's process in putting your vehicle together.

Body Manual- Manual that some factories issue for the repair of body components.

Electrical Wiring Diagram- Specialized manual for diagnosing and troubleshooting electrical and vacuum problems you may have with your vehicle including illustrations.

Factory Manual- Official manual issued by the manufacturer of your vehicle and is the most complete, authentic manual to purchase for your vehicle.

Fisher Body Manual- Manual that covers body and interior service from the dashboard to the rear of your GM vehicle.

Owners Manual- Guide to operating your vehicle. Usually found in the glove box of your vehicle.

Parts Interchange Manual- Identifying parts on your vehicle that might be the same as those on other vehicles and can be interchanged. This is excellent information when searching through wrecking yards.

Parts Manual- Used by the parts department of the dealership identifying every part of your vehicle down to each nut, bolt, and washer, with its corresponding part number.

Sales Brochure- Promotional magazine or flyer available from the dealership when purchasing a new vehicle.

Service Manual (also called "Shop Manual" or "Repair Manual")- A shop/service/repair manual is a guide to diagnose, repair and rebuild your vehicle.

Supplement- Additional service information that was not included in the original full factory service manual.

There I go three 2003 blazer original gm shop manuals So that is how it's displayed only one of those three might be mine not quite sure but for $400.00 I should have a pretty good information source for my car now. and there mine.Thank you for the advice.Oh and the owners manual for the glove box I already have one it came with the purchase of the car.Besides they wanted another $78.00 for the glove box manual.

[ Home ] [ Products ] [ Glossary ] [ Shipping ] [ Links ] [ Policies ] [ Contact Us ] [ Checkout ]
Website created and maintained by SAO Dzynz, Inc. © 2008-Present

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 02-07-2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Let the Captain, Rusty and hoom ever posted last took the advice thank,s again.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:35 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, you lost me there with the glossary thing...

I just saw this on eBay:

2003 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Sanoma Jimmy Service Manuals 3 Volume Set | eBay

I would jump on that if I were you... The only difference between new and used are the greasy fingerprints

Are they hard to understand? I don't think so...

Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I agree with CWB. My service manual set is used and the only greasy fingerprints are in the 4 button 4X4. My jimmy has a three button. It also has what look like tears stains on some of the wiring schematics.

Last edited by Rusty Nuts; 02-06-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:43 AM

Wasn't sure if it was a three volume set or not but there mine now that is why I put it all in my post to thank you for the advice and to show you what I had just purchased again hope to get many years use out of those volumes and now have quite a few answers without having to ask quite so often.

I also Intend to take your advice on taking it to the Dealership for $150.00 with hopes that they can rewrite some code in the OBDII for the evap system.I added air to the gas tank on Saturday to see if the pressure sensor was working because that's one of the few things I haven't replaced and I wanted to see if it was working.So to see if I could trick the system into working or at least setting a code and that's exactly what it did.Guess so because idling in my garage after adding air to the tank and plugging the hose coming from the tank going to the charcoal canister.It set 4 codes two confirmed two unconfirmed.One low volume air in the MAF due to it just idling there at low idle.And the other was failure in the evap system no help there.so erased them and the air pressure in the gas tank reset the low volume air in the MAF while setting there idling and the other was low volume circuit in the purge valve that I just replaced and had unplugged long enough for the OBDII to set that code while I was messing with the purge valve.So that was part of my Saturday and hopefully for $150.00 they can reset as he said the OBDII or rewrite code to make it begin working again because really there isn't any reason for it not to work or except the 30 or more drive cycles.That I can see and believe me when I say have tried everything possible to get it working or at least to set a code that made sense.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Default Obdii

As stated earlyer tomorrow I am taking the blazer to the dealership in hopes of getting the proper things repaired and getting out for know more than the $150.00 mentioned by Randy the shop Stuart.Today a code poped up haven't had one of them this whole two month,s until now that I have a appointment to have them at the dealer look at it hope there gentle with me and the Blazer
Its funny since this weekend I reset the system with the Actron 9680 and now all four im,s are flashing and I have two codes #1 is mass air flow PO102 Low input on the circuit that means wiring doesn't it well its gm,s trouble now and hopefully not a expensive one the other is #2 PO443 Evap purge control valve same thing low low circuit input.Don't know why now I have replaced the mass air flow MAF today and the purge and the vent valve along with the Map sensor not much left to put in but low input that scares me sounds like a bad wire or signal from the computer hope not though really do.