2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4WD oil in vacume tube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4WD oil in vacume tube?

Hello everyone!

I just hate the stupid "push-button" 4WD system that most of these blazers come with. But anyways, right below the brake booster I have three-to-one vacume tubes connector that are for the 4WD system. I keep geting oil from the tube that comes from the transfer case, I don't think that it should do that, if not then How can I fix this. Also my 4WD switch blinks between 2hi and 4hi randomly (like something is shorting out somewhere) It would ingage my front axle at 70mph!!! So I just took out the fuse so the t-case doesn't engage so I can still drive it to work. Any help, please???

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4WD oil in vacume tube?

Faulty vacuum switch on the transfer case. Common problem.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Starting Member

So you are saying: that is why my 4WD switch is blinking back and fourth from 2Hi to 4Hi and my front axle engages randomly? If it is indeed the vacuum switch that is bad, where should I get one to replace it. Also where is it located on my t-case?

Thank you once again!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Lets solve one problem at a time. Getting oil in the vacuum lines from the T-case is bad. If allowed to go unrepaired for too long, you will end up with oil throughout the whole HVAC vacuum system in the dash which is a ROYAL pain to repair once this has happened.

The switch should be available at any one of your favorite autoparts stores. It is located above the encoder motor on the driver's side of the transfer case. The driveshaft location will make it fun to get to... Here's a pic of a transfer case removed from the vehicle. The switch is right above the encoder motor with 3 little tubes sticking out of it.

^^CLICK to view^^

Old 08-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Starting Member

Thanks a lot swartlkk, I do appreciate your help very much!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

No problem, that's what we're here for!!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Starting Member

I changed the vacuum switch.

My 4WD switch (the push button one) still doesn't work. When I push 4hi, I hear the relay click two times and the light flashes once but it still stays in 2hi. Any idea on that?

Also, kind of off topic but may be you could help me on this. My front end is making some rattling sound when ever I hit a bump or pot hole. I already changed my upper and lower ball-joints.

Thank you

Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

When you replaced the switch, did you clear the lines of all trans fluid? If not, you may still not be getting the vacuum to the actuator.

Another typical problem is corrosion on the electrical connector into the TCCM (transfer case control module) which is located behind the passenger side kick panel in front of the passenger door.

On your rattling sound, check your sway bar end links for play as well as the upper and lower shock mounts to ensure that they are tight. After I installed new shocks on my old Bravada, I had a rattling issue. Turned out that the new shocks didn't have the same width sleeve in them which required me to tighten the crap out of the mounting bolts to get them to tighten up. Nearly pulled all of my hair out on that one!!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Starting Member

Thank you for your input. I will get right on it. By the way I took my front and rear sway bars off to get better flex and believe me...this little blazer flexes really good considering it is all compleatly stock suspention. Do you know if anyone else does that here from the Blazer community? I got the idea from my brother-in-law, he did that on his Land Rover Discovery.

I will keep you posted on the results of my work!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Starting Member

I changed the whole vacuum tube that goes from the vacuum switch (at the t-case) up to where the brake booster is. I think that the 4WD switch stopped blinking, but it doesn't turn on 4hi. It DOES turn on 4low but not 4hi!!! That is weard! Any ideas? Thank you

Quick Reply: 4WD oil in vacume tube?