2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Robust fuel option K53?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
blznbwty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Robust fuel option K53?

Was this only available on the extreme series?Was it part of the towing package ?Is there adigit or letterin the vin that reveals this info? I have a 2001 LS 2dr and the gas needle goes nuts below 3/4 tank. I want to replace the sending unit but wondered if I should convert to K53. I plan to do some mods in the near future. Would and after market fuel pump be better than the K53 setup . What does the K53 option consist of ? Sending unit, fuel pump, and anything else?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Robust fuel option K53?

Seems like it is just a change in the design of the fuel pump sending unit (what reads the level of the fuel)... Beyond that, I could find no further information.

With the fuel pumps in these trucks, you really have to know what the part number of the pump you are removing to get the proper replacement as there were subtle design changes that may cause problems if the improper pump is used. There is a replacement sender available that you could install at a fraction of the cost of a new fuel pump assembly (including a new sender), but the install is practically the same for both.

To answer your other questions. No, this wasn't an extreme only item. No, it wasn't part of the tow package. No, this information is not part of your VIN although GM will still have records of your VIN and be able to tie that back into the RPOs your truck originally came with. But then again, you can look on the RPO sticker that is on the inside of the glove box door for a complete listing of the regular production options your vehicle came equiped with as well.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
blznbwty is an unknown quantity at this point

Where can I find only the sender? I appreciate the info. I took a look at your Chevelle. My Dad had one that was a '70 but it was blue. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. All of your sacrifice and sweat will pay off that first time cruising the local strip. There's a bond that forms when you bring one back from the dead like that ( almost like watching a child grow up ). Kinda hard to explain and wivesrarely understand the depth of it . Good luck.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The sender for a 4dr is PN 19121293 (AC Delco PN SK1186) & the 2dr is PN 19121300 (AC Delco PN SK1188). They are available through RockAuto.com for $77 and $82 respectively.

If your dealer is like mine, he'll be able to get pretty darn close to the price found on the online sites.

As far as the pumps go, the AC Delco units are part # MU85 (OEM #25176789) for 4dr and part # MU1063 (OEM #25178732) for 2dr. Priced at $321 and $301 respectively from RockAuto.com, however you can sometimes find genuine AC Delco units on eBay for cheaper.