2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

RPM surging suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 PM
wuddarush is on a distinguished road
Default location of three hose actuator?

Originally Posted by spittybays
Surging is most often open vac line somewhere. When you say T case will lock and unlock, leads me to believe you may have a problem with the three hose actuator "switch" on top of the T case. Good Luck!
I bought a new 3 hose actuator but cannot for the life of me find how to locate it. I know its on the top of the transfer case, but when i lay under the blazer on the driver side, All i see is the bottom of the transfer case. Any pointers?? Thanks by the way for the info.
98 chevy blazer

Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Park is on a distinguished road

For any one that it may help. My 98 started giving me a surging problem a couple weeks ago. She was fine until I got into over drive. Speed did not matter. After a new TPS (had a DTC for TPS low circuit), a new fuel filter, then finding and fixing a vacuum leak the surging problem has been solved. Good luck guys, it's always fun fighting with these trucks as they get older. Fix one thing and 2 more things get added to the list.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Default vac leak

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
mine does the samething...i chalked it up to the 33's on there messing with the sensors....guessing not now.
i have changed tranny fluid and filter...did nothing for it.
i have no codes either...abs or other wise.
i have noticed just lately that letting off throttle at highway speeds my hvac dampers will go to vent while accel then when i let off they go back to def and floor.
so with that in mind i am planning a vac line hunting expedition this weekend.
Hey, i see this on youtube and didnt know if it might help you with your problem.

Chevrolet S10 Vacuum Leak Repair - YouTube

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by wuddarush
My 98 blazer is doing the same thing. Surging while driving. I notice its having a slight problem shifting into the last gear when its cold out. It will finally do a final shift when i reach 55 then it will start to surge while driving. Just like that youtube video on this page. Has anyone found anything out about why ? Mileage is 170k

(As i start to read through all the problems on this site, i wonder if my blazer will start to do some of things i have read. So far, the windshield wipers stopped, the Heater actuator has went bad, The 4x4 lights up but only two back wheels are in 4wd, the heater core has plugged up. the cruise control stopped working. The gas pump had to be replaced. I know all cars have issues but geish.... ) all those problems but i still love my blazer. LOL
I changed my transfer case switch but had to take it back off because the new one didnt have the oring seal. Make sure to get the one off the old one.

Heres the location i tried to record for anyone else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Pq...e_gdata_player

Attached Thumbnails RPM surging suggestion-transfer-case-switch.jpg  

Last edited by wuddarush; 02-15-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Crawlblind is on a distinguished road

The ABS light has always been on since I bought the truck, I cant remember what it would do when I would turn and apply the brakes but I pulled the abs fuse as per instructions I found on the forum. I still have the rpm problem because I now lack the funds to fix it. My temporary solution is to do 60mph when on the highway and 39mph in town lol. Just realized how lazy I am

Just a side note: Some days 4wd works like a charm and some days usually when its cold it just plain refuses to go into 4wd but the light blinks, just thought maybe it would help diagnose a vac line problem.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You can put the shifter in "3", which will keep the torque converter from locking, but your fuel mileage will suffer.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Crawlblind is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
You can put the shifter in "3", which will keep the torque converter from locking, but your fuel mileage will suffer.
Mine will still do it in 3rd