2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rubber Oil Lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:17 AM
kaindragoon36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rubber Oil Lines

I have a '97 2Dr 4x4 Blazer, with the rubber oil lines starting to leak. I'm an aircraft mechanic also, but I don't do hydraulic line work. How do you guys go about replacing these lines? Do you replace the whole line, hard section included, or do you just replace the rubber part? I was reading about putting hydraulic ends on it and putting braided lines in there. I'm just wondering how you would go about actually getting the connections on the ends of the hard lines and what tools it would require.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rubber Oil Lines

When we did the repair on my Grandfathers S10, we simply used our die grinder with a cutoff wheel (hacksaw would also work) to cut off the crimps. Deburred the cut ends. Then brazed on the proper fittings. Flaring will work here also, but you may need to use a double male connector, but our experience with flaring old lines has not been spectacular - hence the brazing. Had hoses made up with swivel connections at both ends. Done. Did not even have to remove the lines from the truck. Everything was done from underneith.

Others have removed the lines to rebuild them. It's really up to you. If you are flaring, it can easily be done without removing the lines. Fortunately, my dad is very good at brazing so he was able to do it from under the truck.

I'll be doing this to my Bravada if/when the lines leak.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:38 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine also leak and I have been looking into using NTP fittings, hose, and clamps. I might try by cutting off the old crimps first to see how that goes. All depends. I need a free weekend first.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:37 PM

Do you have pictures of this or could you get them? My idea was to pull the lines outta the filter block, and have them remanafactured so I can get a straight enough section to mount a compression fitting to. I was talking with the local hydraulic shop and they said that would work if I could figure out how the lines are mounted into the filter block.

Anyone have any pictures, or I ideas on how the filter block works? Thanks

Old 03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a pic of my lines with compression fittings and hydrolic hose.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:18 PM

That looks really similar to what I want to do. I'm gonna get some steel braided teflon lines. $$$

I'm thinkin about either replacing the oil cooler adapter, or taking the hard lines out of the current one, getting some 1/2" hard lines manafactured to stick out of it, and then attach the fittings to the hard lines on the adapter.

no more leaks!

I'll be sure to take pictures when I get it all figured out and put together! It's gonna look nice!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Jman, that's basically exactly what we did. Swivel connections on the ends of the hydraulic hose, but with AN fittings on the hose. No compression fittings on my Grandpa's, but I may just put them on my Bravada. Shouldn't have a problem holding back 60+psi oil pressure.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:54 PM

Kyle they are good for 3000psi so no more leaks there. lol. I never did the lines from the filter to the cooler yet though. Hopefully they will be good for a while. knock on wood.

kaindragon why do you want to remove the hardlines from the adapter? Are they the wrong size for what you want to do?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 AM

From what I was told by the hydraulic shop, they won't be able to put the fittings on the filter end of the hard lines because of the bend so close to the end, the fitting slides over them too far and will not fit. So I was going to have new ones remanafactured, have them come 3 inches out, and take a hard left and up, just makin sure there's at least a few inches before the bend, so the male ends can fit on. And also, pulling the lines out of the adapter, would make it easier for the hydraulic shop to work on in the case that I don't have the hard lines remanafactured. I'm still in the drawing board stages of this one, possibly making it more difficult than it is, but it WON"T LEAK lol

Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 AM

Are you replacing the lines from filter to cooler? or filter to motor?

If you are replacing the lines from filter to motor than there is enough hard line coming out of the filter.

Quick Reply: Rubber Oil Lines