2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer stalling at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 PM
theeviltwinn is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer stalling at highway speeds

Hi all

I've been having this problem for a few months and don't know where to start. There are three things happening involving stalling. It will stall while driving at highway speeds and then restart. Everything else seems fine before and after. It will stall while driving in town. I have to pull over and put it in park. It will then start right up. If I try to restart it in neutral it cranks and cranks but won't start. It must be in park. Finally if I step on it, either when pulling out or driving 55 the tach. goes crazy jumping between 1000 and 6000. It stalls, sometimes backfires, and then restarts after which it runs fine.

It is a 95 Blazer; 4.3 Vortec engine; 175,000 mi. automatic; 4 wheel drive.

It has had a P0305 code since I bought it at auction 2 years ago. I've given up on fixing that. The funny thing is, after one of the tach crazy, stalling and restarting episodes the SES goes out. It just happened on my way to Advanced Auto to have the codes read. The SES light was on when I left home. Stalled out and restarted, light off. Get to the store and their reader says no codes found. In a few days the light will be back on.

A little history: Alternator replaced last summer with a junk yard one. Radiator tank cracked and the motor overheated last summer. My stalling problems started about a month after this. New head gaskets last Christmas. New distributor, plugs, wires about a year ago.

So where do I start? Fuel? Electrical? Wait for the codes to come back on? I'm not a mechanic and have limited tools and testers so pointing me in the right direction would be a big help

Thanks
Mike

Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The codes resetting may be a tell tale of a power or ground fault to the PCM.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 PM
theeviltwinn is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Mike