2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

security issue i think..help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default security issue i think..help

ok,
so yesterday i tore down the dash to do the heater core.
i disconnected the battery then went on my way towards taking out the dash.
everything came apart smoothly.

so today i go out this morn to finish the job...all goes well.
no connections missed no left over parts. went back together fine.

now however it wont start. the security light is on all the time.
so i figure maybe do a relearn (as in the help section here)...no dice.
i waited for ten minutes and even longer...that light is still on.
when i turn the key back to on the securtiy light goes off for maybe a second or two..then its back.

Key fob works though.

i dont know what i did. i did disconnect the bcm to move it out of the way when pulling the dash. i also put it into first to drop the lever for some more clear space.

also i dont know if this is related to the security or not but the gear indicator lights up but will not show what gear it is in (park at the moment)

before i did the work i never had any issues at all with the passlock system...always started immediately.

i simply dont know where to look at this point. i tore the dash back apart looking for something i missed....nothing was out of place. no pinched wires or anything.

oh i also tried hooking up my obdii scanner and it says it cant talk to the ecu.

i am outta ideas....i have been at this all day and i am about to have a melt down.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 08-22-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Might have to take it to the stealership, definetly sounds passlocl related. When I replaced my ignition switch, (followed the how to here) I had the same issue. I did the relearn and nothin, my buddy at the dealer hooked it up to there computer and did the relearn and it was fine.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I am sure that can be done for a nice amount.
edit.....100.00 at my local stealership....nice

Also...what causes this to happen?
I have had my blazer apart tons of times with the battery out far longer....i just dont understand how the system works.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 08-22-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

My buddy at the dealership didn't have an answer either. So I cany help you with why or how it happened. Sorry! When I had my pcm tuned, I had them tune out the passlock crap.
All it cost me for him to do the relearn was a 12 pack lol.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran

yeah....75.00 more and i could had a tune instead.

i figure that the dealership loves easy money...as soon as i told them what was going on they said bring her in.

best part was when they asked me if i had been there before i proudly said.."i dont ever go to shops" i take pride in fixing my busted up old junk.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Want to come fix my busted up old junk?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Thogert
Want to come fix my busted up old junk?
Tell ya what...you fly me out there and i will do my best

Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It's definitely passlock related. I'd almost wonder if the BCM is not seeing the resistance code from the ignition switch. Is it possible that you either pinched a passlock wire coming from the steering column, or missed reconnecting something?

Do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote starter? If you have a remote starter, did the passlock bypass module miss getting plugged back in?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran

^^^...well let me tell ya.

ok finally got it to dealership over the weekend and i got a phone call from them today.

well its not the security system at all...apparently i screwed up the wiring. so tomorrow i am towing it back home and it will have to sit till this weekend so i can take the dash back out. i hate when i find out i screw up something like this...esp when someone else finds it.
i am not having a good year with elec issues and cars. they said i probably screwed up a ground in the dash by pinching a wire or not fully seating the connection.

on a plus note...they tested my electronics and they all check out...so wire hunting i go.

d'ohhhhhhh

lousy is all i can say.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 08-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran

ok,
well i had five hours to kill today...schedule opened up for me
and all is now well in my little corner of the blazer world.
i tore the whole thing back down and found the wire problem...patched...crossed fingers and she worked!!!

its the little things that get you....i have had that dash apart so many times and i guess the last one was one time to many.