2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Security system

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
falconfixer86261 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Security system

I'm having a weird problem with my factory security system in my 2004. The alarm will go off for no apparent reason just sitting in the driveway. I thought the problem was my remote fob because as I was driving down the road the doors would intermittently lock. I tried tapping the fob on the shifter and the locks would cycle even more. So I figured my fob had gone bad and I took the battery out and started using the other one. But then yesterday the alarm went off again in the driveway. If I don't activate the security system by double pressing the lock button on the fob the problem doesn't happen.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Bink75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Security system

Sorry I can't help, but I have to ask- did you figure out the problem? I ask because mine (02 Blazer LT, 4WD) does the same thing.. My factory alarm just goes off whenever it feels like it. It may go a few days without going off, but some days it has gone off 4 times in a day. Kind of annoying, but a real pain in the a** when it decides to do it at 2 am...neighbors have to love that! Or when I am at work and the horn just keeps blaring in the parking lot... But mine seems to happen no matter whether I double press the "Lock" button on the fob or lock the doors from inside before I get out of the car.

I don't have the problem of doors intermittently locking, but my problem is that literally about 50% of the time when I get in and start it, the Blazer thinks that the rear glass is open as it displays "Gate Ajar" on the instrument panel. I have found no rhyme or reason as to why it does it. But when it does, the dome light stays on so I have to use the "Dome Override" button plus the driver door won't lock...Just thought that was kind of odd....

Please post if you find a solution. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:16 AM
aspenpup is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe both of you live in a bad neighborhood?

Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 AM
metalheadgoalie is an unknown quantity at this point

haha thats what i was thinking aspenpup... anyways mine is wierd too but its the opposite of u guys, mine never goes off

Old 07-07-2007, 12:15 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend had that same problem only with his 95 cherekee, he did eventually get it fixed but I will have to ask him what he did to fix it.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you should try reprogramming the remote fobs? I don't know what would be causing the problems, just a suggestion that you could try.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Well I do know it's not the fob since it is still doing the same thing. I have started just leaving the silly thing unlocked but the locks cycling as I'm going down the road is driving me crazy. I'm wondering if I have some sort of loose connection or short somewhere. I might have to buy the factor books because nothing in the Haynes or Owners Manual even addresses the security system from a troubleshooting standpoint. I'll post back if I figure out the problem.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a screwed up lock solenoid if it is only doing it on one door. otherwise not sure what else would be causing it.

-Lenny

Old 07-16-2007, 09:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

From the GM service manual re: the security system,
"Faulty electrical connections or wiring may be the cause of intermittent conditions. "
Good luck with that. Sounds like a trip to the dealer for electrical diagnosis.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I spent a few hours in the wiring diagrams and while troubleshooting the problem I noticed none of the dome lights were working. I found the dome light override switch engaged. When disengaged all the interior lights came on and wouldn't go out with all the doors closed. I knew that the security system also used the door jamb switches. I started looking for a bad door jamb switch and of course started with the front doors. Passenger side was easy to get to but front drivers took a little more. Neither of those were bad. Then I went after the front door handle switches which were a real bear. Not the problem either. Then I went after the right rear passenger door and it was okay too. BTW - you don't have to pull the seatbelt cover on the pillar to get to these. They just pop out from the outside with some gentle prying. Then I went for the left rear passenger door and it turned out to be bad. Internally it was intermittently goingto the door open position from time to time. I put a digital multimeter on it and the readings were all over the place and never steady. So the alarm system was arming and then it would get this freaky door open signal whenever it felt like it. The switch is about an $8 part or if you find one bad you can just unplug it. Of course if someone breaks in that door the alarm might not function right. I just bought this vehicle a few months ago and the dome override was in override when I bought it. So the PO knew there was a problem. Oh well - $8 fix. If anyone ever has weirdo security problems be sure to check all your dome light switches. They are pretty cheaply made and the rear passenger door ones are not sealed.

Sorry for the long post but maybe it will help someone else.