2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC Starts and works then quits!

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
rockhead is on a distinguished road
Unhappy AC Starts and works then quits!

I have a 99 blazer with a 4.3 and no climate control. I replaced the compressor and accumulator, along with flushing, due to a leak in the compressor. The system starts and works for about a half hour or so. It will then quit producing cold air. The clutch does not turn either. After it sits a while, with the engine off, the ac will work once again and quit once again. It has done this over and over the past two weeks. Not sure where to start? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Did you put in the exact amount of R134A that is called for? What are your Gauge readings? both low & high side.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 PM

I cannot answer how much refrig. is in the system or the pressures. I took it to a local garage to have the system evacuated and filled. The system works fine for about a half hour then quits. If I shut off the control **** on the dash and select back on it will not turn on either in max or a/c. It seems to only start back on when the vehicle is turned off and allowed to sit for a while. Thank you to all who reply.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Slap a thermometer in your vents and see how cold its getting. If it's getting really cold, it may be freezing up. Mine did the same thing because I had either too much pressure, or not enough. It would work for like 10 minutes and quit. Myself and a friend who previously worked as a AC service technician put in what it called for from the factory and problem solved. I think it took 2 cans, or close to it. I let him him do that part.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Its a default in the system, that if there isnt 1lbs 12oz of R134 in there, the compressor clutch will disengage and re engage every now and then to ensure the system doesn't burn out. That may or may not be your issue.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Without knowing pressures it is pretty hard to diagnose. All any of us can do is guess like you. Take it to the shop that filled it & have them check it out is your best bet in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM

I am away at work now and will not be able to get to it until the end of the month. I will try to get more info , pressures etc. before I repost. Thanks to all.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Your welcome. Hope you get it fixed. At least its not as hot as it has been.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Logan
Your welcome. Hope you get it fixed. At least its not as hot as it has been.
I don't know where he is, but your in Canada. here in Arizona it hasn't cooled very much at all YET.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

did you replace the orifice tube and flush out both lines and add the correct amount and correct oil to the system when u changed it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Starts and works then quits!