2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Service Engine Light (Any Ideas..)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
davidsv8mustang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service Engine Light (Any Ideas..)

Hello everyone,

Just bought my blazer zr2 about two months ago from a priviete seller, so very new to the blazer seen. Has its a 2003 with 99,685 miles on it. Was out driving the other night when my service engine light kicked on. Everything seems to be running fine, all gauges reading fine, runs good, no strange noise or ticks. So my question is what are the most common reasons from your experiences that this light kicks on before I take it into get looked at. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

the light can come on for a ton of reasons, if you go and get it read and repost what code was thrown itll be alot easier to give advise.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, both AutoZone and Advance Auto will read the code(s) for free. Let us know.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Like said, get the codes read and we will go from there.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

My 01 did the same thing at about 96k, i had the codes pulled and it's a malfunctioning air pump.. 650 bucks to get it fixed. 10k later the light is still on..

Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

When my CEL came on it turned out to be a P0446-A, an Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction... sounds scary but we put some dielectric grease on the gas cap seal, cleared the code & it hasn't came back since & the Hypertech Programmer checks for codes when I change settings

Last edited by Rottidog; 04-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Until the OP reports back with his code(s) reading(s), we're just speculating. Let's wait.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member
davidsv8mustang is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope its nothing to serious, I just bought it for a winter/rainy day vehicle. I don't really want to dump money into it.... But yes, I'll try to get you all a code here soon to here your input.

Last edited by davidsv8mustang; 04-06-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know what the code is. Anyone that suggests anything is just taking a shot in the dark, especially given that there are no driveability concerns.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
bigren042 is on a distinguished road

I had this same issue but it was a p0410 code for the secondary air pump. The guy i bought it from had the pump replaced and almost every vaccum hose in the engine bay and it still would not turn off. After poking around I found that the A.I.R. pump didnt have power to it. So I followed the wiring up behind the battery (removed the battery and the tray). and inside the passenger fender well there is a relay box with a 30amp and a 10amp fuse. The 30amp was shot from the old air pump and the guy never had it replaced. So just and FYI check this relay first before moving into replacing the pump.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light (Any Ideas..)