2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Solution for malfunctioning EBCM (ABS module)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Slnt Dnky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Solution for malfunctioning EBCM (ABS module)

Hi everyone.

While visiting during Easter the island where my father was born, my Blazer (4.3L V6 4x4, 4 door LT model), started acting up again. Every once and a while the ABS & Brake light would light up and although I had full breaking function, the ABS wouldn't work. Also I noticed that while having the car at 4WD auto, it would switch back to 2WD on its own when switching on the engine.

When I returned home, I had the car scanned by a fellow mechanic and the verdict was a malfunctioning ABS module (EBCM). The damage was probably caused by jumpstarting the car a couple of times, due to a flat battery.

Wanting to make sure, I checked through the forum for similar stories and got some good tips about sensors and ABS Module connectors (thanks swartlkkfor the answers you gave).

Anyway, I checked everything (while Googling, I also found that the problem could be caused if the EBCM module's grounding is not right. You will find the 12 gauge wire behind the driver's side head light or near the Radiator Bracket), but the verdict came out the same. With a heavy heart, I called the local dealership and I was quoted the following price 1200 euros (around 1850 USD) for parts and labour.

After having been resuscitated, I returned to the internet search with a vengeance. I found at GMPARTSDIRECT.COM that they sold the EBCM module for 508 USD, but they did not send to international destinations. To make a long story short, somewhere around page 25 of a Google search I found through ablog page, the following company http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php. They specialize on rebuilding ABS modules. I called them up, had my module send over and received it a week later (they take 2 working days to rebuild it). Total cost, including priority FedEx, 300 USD (and a 5 year warranty).

Now everything works perfectly (I had the grounding wire checked as well).

Sorry for the long post, but I thought, having readalmost all the relevantthreads, that this solution will help a lot of people save money.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Solution for malfunctioning EBCM (ABS module)

THIS could have saved you a bit of searching. Not really a good review like this, but mentioned modulemaster.com.

I am very glad that you got it all fixed up and glad to have helped!! Thank you very much for the feedback. A lot of the time, we forget to post up the results.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Slnt Dnky is an unknown quantity at this point

Must have missed this one. My search was threads with"ABS problems".

Anyway, happy to help anyone with the same trouble.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
arvai1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I got the same problem!!! If I replace the ebcm do i have to bleed the abs pump and if so...HOW??? I have a 2001 ZR2 4WD...

Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to just bleed the brakes. The pump should already be bled from the manufacturer, leaving all but the straight through passages left for bleeding once installed.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Kewl...thanks...

Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 PM

do i have to reset the trouble codes with a scan tool or will it do it itself if this is fixed???