2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

spark plug VS. Pulse plug

Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member
4.3l trouble is on a distinguished road
Default spark plug VS. Pulse plug

A little while ago a friend of mine started telling about these pulse plugs he had just bought for his 300ZX. telling me that they give him more power and better MPGs and that his car ran smoother overall. But he also believed facebook that Bill Cosby was dead, so i went online checked them out and there official page was quite convincing. I dug deeper and checked out some product review sites about 30% said they were awsome the other 70 said they were compleat crap, some even mentioned engine damage from installing these pulse plugs

I'd like to know if anyone has tried them, what you think of them and if there worth the 25 bucks a plug

Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Never heard of them.

Although, most new gimmicks like this, when they find someone to buy them, the person will swear up and down about more power and mpg's to make themselves feel better about spending the money on them.

Just do a little research on the throttle body spacer.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

At $25/plug they better wash my dishes and make me a sammich!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

At $12.50 per plug (they are sold in pairs for $25) the Pulstar plugs are no more expensive than some of the other plugs on the market, but imo you'd have to see one heck of a performance difference and fuel savings to make them cost efficient. I would recommend E3 plugs though. After installing them in my Blazer I noticed a smoother idle, better acceleration (less pressure on pedal to obtain cruising speed), and an increase of 1.7 mpg over the AC Delco platinum plugs I had been using. They were actually priced cheaper ($5.99ea) versus the AC Delco plugs ($6.49ea). Some people call them a 'gimmick' but Michigan Tech's R&D department tested them and concluded that the claim of increase in power and mileage is fact, not fiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62KavugC-5o

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/news/tes...ve-designs/261

As far as the Pulstar plugs causing engine damage, the only way I could see that happening would be if the wrong plug was installed.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4.3l trouble
...about 30% said they were awsome the other 70 said they were compleat crap...
And would you play those type odds in Vegas?

Old 04-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Beginning Member
Frank Bukowski is on a distinguished road
Default spark plugs VS. Pulse plug

HI ,
Saw your post today , and wanted to let you know I've heard of them & read the claims .
If I remember correctly , they have a capacitive resistance & increase the spark plug energy when they fire . Let's say you have a coil output of 40,ooo volts , when the plug fires , it'll only use the voltage necessary to bridge the gap (say 1,000 volts) and the only way to increase the spark plug voltage actually used is to increase the gap , or have some resistance to get the coil to put out more voltage , which will increase the amount of fuel that will burn in the chamber . I myself am interested in finding out if it's possible to run a MSD box with my 2000 W 4.3 v6

Last edited by Frank Bukowski; 04-07-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Frank Bukowski
HI ,
Saw your post today , and wanted to let you know I've heard of them & read the claims .
If I remember correctly , they have a capacitive resistory & increase the spark plug energy when they fire . Let's say you have a coil output of 40,ooo volts , when the plug fires , it'll only use the voltage necessary to bridge the gap (say 1,000 volts) and the only way to increase the spark plug voltage actually used is to increase the gap , or have some resistance to get the coil to put out more voltage , which will increase the amount of fuel that will burn in the chamber . I myself am interested in finding out if it's possible to run a MSD box with my 2000 W 4.3 v6
OK, first this thread is like 9 years old lol.

Wouldn't you want less resistance? More resistance is going to drop voltage, or increase current, right? Not increase voltage.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Frank Bukowski
HI ,
If I remember correctly , they have a capacitive resistance & increase the spark plug energy when they fire . Let's say you have a coil output of 40,ooo volts , when the plug fires , it'll only use the voltage necessary to bridge the gap (say 1,000 volts) and the only way to increase the spark plug voltage actually used is to increase the gap , or have some resistance to get the coil to put out more voltage , which will increase the amount of fuel that will burn in the chamber . I myself am interested in finding out if it's possible to run a MSD box with my 2000 W 4.3 v6
LOL Your "nine years old thread lol" is nothing in comparison to the physics described above. This is OMEGALOL.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
LOL Your "nine years old thread lol" is nothing in comparison to the physics described above. This is OMEGALOL.
Yeah, seemed a little.... off to me as well.

What do I know, though, I only have a degree in electronics, and have worked for an electric utility for over 11 years

Old 04-07-2019, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Yeah, seemed a little.... off to me as well.

What do I know, though, I only have a degree in electronics, and have worked for an electric utility for over 11 years
Phhhh that doesnt mean nothing! Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plug VS. Pulse plug