2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starter/ Alternator/Battery wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 AM
mnwhlp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter/ Alternator/Battery wiring

I just swapped engines in my 97 4x4 with an 03 4.3 vortec. I am having trouble figuring out where the wires attach from the battery to the starter/ alternator, and where the grounds are. When I hooked up the battery it made a beeeping sound. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Starter/ Alternator/Battery wiring

If you really want help, then you need to include more information in your post. What's the exact make and model of the '97 4x4? Even without that information, my best guess would be that you would also need to get the wiring harness and PCM out of whatever truck donated the Vortec. Then whatever electrical things don't match up, you would have to improvise. The battery in the donee truck may also not be the right type that should be used with the Vortec.

Post back with more specs on the vehicle that got the donation, and I'm sure more people will reply. Just my $.02.

Raphael

Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
mnwhlp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, sorry ,new to this, it is a 1997 four dour 4wd blazer. The engines seem very similar and I have most of the harness hooked up, just cant figure out the starting system and grounds.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Okay. Because it's a 4x4, most likely the donee truck already had a 4.3 Vortec also. If the airbox is original, you'll know immediately because it will say "Vortec." The four-banger looks way different from the V6es anyway.

The important difference to note between model years is the fact that, even though the Vortecs are essentially the same engines, they came with three different types of intake/timing systems. Mine has the Central type. Since yours was built the next year, it's probably the same kind as mine. The quickest way to know is by the VIN number.

You should get a copy of the Haynes manual for the S-series trucks, available at your local parts store. It explains in more detail what I just said and tells you how to determine which intake system your truck has. This may not matter for what you're doing, but it could affect the configuration of your wiring.

Also note that the Haynes manual lumps all models from '95 to '03 into one group, which I think is a big mistake, because there are a number of differences across model years. However, it's better than nothing, so you really should pick up a copy if you can. I do plan to write to them and ask if they could do a revised edition on these trucks, though I doubt I'll get a response. LOL

Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A few corrections. Between '96 and '05 when the last S-series vehicle was sold (fleet), there were 3 basic differences with the engines.

These differences centered around:
[ol][*]EGR valve --> went away in '02 - swap lower intake manifolds if using in a '01 or earlier vehicle[*]Fuel injection system --> changed in '02 to the MFI type, but is backwards compatible[*]Knock sensor --> changed in '02 to a physically different mounting configuration, but with a bit of wire splicing, the new knock sensors should work the same[/ol]

There was never a four cylinder offered in the 2nd gen suvs.

As far as the OPs problems with the wiring.. I can try to take a look at the wiring schematics when I get home from work. I'll email a link to this thread to myself as a reminder.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Kyle, thanks for the help. My friend had a 2nd Gen S-10 pickup with the four-banger, so I assumed you could also get them in the SUVs. My mistake.