2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starts some times, but most often won't, plz help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
mudd_toyz75 is on a distinguished road
Default Starts some times, but most often won't, plz help?

Hi, i just purchased a 97 chevy S-10 blazer 8 months ago and it has been broke down for 5 1/2 months now. After having it for 2 1/2 month it got broke into and they stole the cd player, when i went to take it to get the window replaced, it would not start to drive it into the shop, after it had been running and going fine, no trouble with it what-so-ever until this point. My Dad and a friend looked at it and Dad thought maybe the wires had touched and possibly blew a fuse, checked that out, not it. My friend says that he doesn't hear the fuel pump engaging, nothing, no whining and no clicking. It had given no sign or indication that something was wrong. I was wondering if someone could possibly give me a hint to what it might be beside the fuel pump going out, i priced a few of those and they were expensive, and is it better to get a chevy or gmc brand fuel pump or is it ok to get one from an auto parts store, i have friends that can install it for me to cut down on the cost.
One other thing, i have a strange gurgling in or around the dash area, i have no clue as to what this could be from. I asked the dealer where i got it but they said it was just a noise from the ac shutting down when you turn the truck off, but it keeps doing it? I hope to get this running soon, i have been barrowing my Dad's toyota pick-up but it is getting harder to get the car seat in and out. I have always loved chevys and i hope to be able to get this one fixed. I called the chevy dealer here in the town i live and they said that they have no Recalls on my trucks vin #. But when i went on line i found a few, i didn't have to enter my vin into these site, so i don't know if these apply to my truck. Thank you for your time hope to hear something soon.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Follow the procedures in this thread to rule out problems with fuel delivery for your truck.
The gurgling noise sounds like you may have a plugged up heater core. You might want to have the cooling system flushed (including the heater core) and filled to rule that out.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:10 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Does your truck have the passlock security system? (Not sure what year they started using it offhand.)
Or any other aftermarket security system installed?

As you said the truck was unable to start after it was broken into and the radio was stolen the passlock system being tripped is a possibility. If it is tripped and not properly reset, or unable to be automatically reset due to wiring damage when they ripped out the radio then this could be the problem for you as it shuts down the fuel pump.

Check to see if you have a security light on the dash when you turn the key on. If you do then this is likely your problem rather then a bad fuel pump.

Was there any other damage to the dash/steering column other then pulling the radio? IE, did they try to hotwire it?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
ola
ola is on a distinguished road

if you need to replace the fuel pump, replace it only with the original one from GM,
not and after market.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:05 AM

I will look to see if the light is where you say to look. My ignition will turn all the way around and start the truck without the key, but i don't think that was due to when they broke into it, otherwise they would have taken the whole truck. I have not seen any other damage to the dash or steering column but i will look closer. Now why can't you use an after market fuel pump? don't they work just as well? or will they go out in a couple months? My dad was looking at an after market fuel pump just becayse they were cheaper. But if there is something wrong with them i don't want to have to replace it in the near future. Thank you for your advise. Have a good day.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

If you can turn your entire ignition around and without the key as well then it is likely that they punched the ignition cylinder. This of course tends to damage the ignition switch as well on these trucks that are already known for ignition switch issues.

Much like yourself they probably couldn't get it to start after they damaged the switch so only took the radio instead.

Replace the key cylinder AND the ignition switch and I bet your truck will start right up every time again.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Beginning Member
fenderfreek is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like passlock is working as designed. If they tried to punch the key cylinder to start it, they likely destroyed it and activated the passlock, which is specifically designed to thwart that kind of thing. Replace the cylinder and switch as advised and check that security light.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM

OK. I'll try that. one other question, is it true that the 97 will only take a 97 fuel pump? my Dad was told this. I hope it's not true. I thought that when they made these trucks that they would give you at least a few years stretch to work with. We have also found out that it was put together in Canada, which i find weird. It doesn't have all the weird the differents gages like my dad's pick-up that was made in canada. Thank you again for all the advice. I'm still here scatching my head wondering what i got myself into, but i still love the little blazer, i just wish it would run. Oh, sorry one more question, i called the local dealer here and asked if there was any recalls for my vehical, he asked for the vin# and then told me that were none for mine, but i got on the inter-net and looked up the recalls and there were a few, do they keep track of that stuff by the vin# only?