2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stuck Freeze Plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Tortex53 is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck Freeze Plug

This sucks, and I feel like an idiot. I am replacing the freeze plug on the right rear side of the block. I can't get it out for anything. I tried to hit it on the side so it would rotate and allow me to pull it out with pliers, which didn't work. After a bunch of pounding at different locations, I've got myself to the point where basically the entire center of the plug is punched out, and there is just the outside ring stuck in the block. I have no clue how to get this out, and it seems to be frozen in there pretty good. Is there a lip behind the block that is preventing it from moving at all? Any brilliant ideas to rescue this situation? I have a '95 Blazer with the W code engine. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I made this after i replaced mine...
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ht=Freeze+Plug
But since it seems like this is exactly what you tried, i doubt that helps. As far as i know, there isn't anything behind the plug to keep it in place, at least there wasn't in mine. The only advice i can give you is maybe try to use penetrating oil around the plug and try and hit it on the small lip until it turns. Good Luck!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Heat!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Heat!
Duh! Why didn't I think of that!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM

I was thinking about using a torch to heat up that general area and then using ice on the freeze plug ring. However, the last thing that I want to do is to warp or crack the block. Is there any chance of this happening? My last resort would be to try to use a hacksaw blade to painstakingly file through part of the freeze plug ring which would allow me to pry it out. However, I'm afraid of scaring the sealing surface of the freeze plug hole.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't need all that much heat. What you are looking to do is get it all warmed up, then rapidly cool the brass ring. This should break the bond and free it up.

If that doesn't work, a little hack saw action would likely do it. Cut two or more reliefs into the ring, but not all the way through it. Then grab the hammer again.

I have always started out with heat and never had anything stick on me.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the advice. And for some reason I didn't think of cutting two holes and then hammering again. I'll start with the heat.