2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stuck Freeze Plug

Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck Freeze Plug

i have a 96 s10blazer and the freeze plug on the drivers side has started leaking. tried knocking the old one out but it doesnt look like its doing anything. the center is punched out so its just the inside edge thats stuck in there. does anyone have any ideas on getting it out of there so i can put the new one in?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

I usually use a punch on the edge of the plug and drive it toward the block. Most of the time one side will go inward and one will pop out. Then you can pry it the rest of the way out. Once in a while, I've had one go in the block. If that happens, you can still pry it back out pretty easily. Even if it goes inward and drops down, it can't go very far and you can still see the plug. I've never changed one on a 4.3, but the method should be pretty much the same.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If all you have is the ring and you can't get it to move, you'll need to very carefully cut the plug with a small hack saw blade.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If all you have is the ring and you can't get it to move, you'll need to very carefully cut the plug with a small hack saw blade.
If you try this be absolutly sure you do not cut into the block. As was said above you should be able to hit it on one side with a blunt punch and cause the plug to turn so one side is in the bolck and the other side is out side. Then you can grab it and pry it out.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Starting Member

if by any chance some one got a little too gung ho and got in there with a sawzall and they hit the block how bad would it be?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty bad, but not necessarily the end of the world. A little JB weld could seal it up. You would need to clean it VERY well.

That's why you should be VERY careful and only remove enough material to where you can get the ring moving.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Starting Member

didnt do anything to the block and the plug didnt leak. but i have another one that is bad. has anyone replaced the plug behind the motor mount

Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Starting Member

got some bumping going on over here

Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Behind the motor mount on which side?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Starting Member

driver

Search this Thread