2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sunroof clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Mr.Bigglesworth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunroof clicking

Hey guys,

I've found several posts on this but no answers (maybe I missed that part)...

I have a 2005 ZR2 with about 100,000km's, and just recently the sunroof has pretty much quit on me. It will open and close but seems to have forgotten where to stop- it will go to about 80% of the way and then starts clicking loudly..

I pulled the overhead console cover off and the clicking sounds like it's coming from the motor. However, in reading & speaking briefly with a mechanic, it sounds like this clicking thing is most likely an issue with broken plastic? (IE; not the motor?)

Has anyone had any luck repairing this issue??

Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may have to just remove the glass (4 screws accessible with the sunroof closed) and lubricate the track. If the motor hits too much resistance along the way back, the gears can slip. Too much slipping and you will have to replace parts.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Beginning Member
Limeking is on a distinguished road

What is a sutible lubricant for the tracks, I have never lubed mine?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I did it, I just used whatever was in my grease gun... I believe it was a lithium based grease. A silicone based grease would probably be kinder to the plastic parts though.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

sunroof, added to the lube list.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:29 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm... Along the same lines,has anyone had sucess at quieting the slide cover rattle?
LMK step66

Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 AM
drjones96 is on a distinguished road

OK....well...what if.....hypethetically speaking....your sunroof made this clicking sound and eventually stopped clicking on it own....and also no longer moves and the motor just runs. LOL

What do I need to replace? And How?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Administrator

step66,
You'll probably have to drop the headliner and add some adhesive backed felt in strategic locations to quiet the rattle.

drjones,
The rack is likely stripped out. The last time I searched for parts for a busted sunroof rack, I could not find them. We ended up pulling a whole rack out of a truck in the junkyard to replace it which was a HUGE PITA!

I would recommend pulling the fuse for the roof and leaving it closed. If you want to fix it, you can try removing the glass and seeing if the rack will move without the glass installed.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM
drjones96 is on a distinguished road

Yeah. Figured it was stripped out by the sound of it. Was hoping it wouldn't be a PITA or expensive to fix....but sounds like a fail on both counts. Unfortunately when it locked up it was in the tilted up position. I managed to force it closed. I guess my open sunroof days are done because I'm not likely to spend the money to fix this.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

The last rack unit I pulled from a junkyard cost $200! You might be able to find one cheaper and could gauge the replacement time by the removal time from the truck at the yard if you can find one. It really wasn't that particularly difficult, but I did it when it was 85-90 out and working in a junkyard in those kinds of temps & in direct sunlight just plain sucks!

Quick Reply: Sunroof clicking