2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Temp guage randomly rises then drops

Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Starting Member
pmezo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temp guage randomly rises then drops

1996 blazer 4x4

So lately I've been noticing that my temperature guage has randomly been rising and then dropping to where it usually is.

What happens is the temp guage will started rising from where it usually sits (1/4th up) and will rise to the 1/2 point, but once it hits 1/2, it will immediately drop back down to that 1/4th spot. It never gets above that 1/2 spot on the guage before dropping back down. This process usually takes about 10 seconds.

I'm definitely not losing any coolant. Am I dealing with a broken guage or do I have a bigger problem going on?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Sticking thermostat. Easy fix and cheap, too!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Starting Member

Nice to hear... so this is a common issue and somethings not going?

I really don't care to much about it if nothings wrong. How easy of a fix is it?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
greasemonkey08 is on a distinguished road

yea it is a sticking thermostat man you can replace it cheap and if that doesnt fix it then it is def your gauge but you gauge should be fine i would put my money on your thermostate

Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Starting Member

Oh and one thing i've noticed is my heat isn't getting nearly as hot as it used to. Could both of these issues be caused by a faulty thermostat?

If yes, does the thermostat need to be replaced or is there a quick fix? A DIY guide would help since i've never done this before.

Last edited by pmezo; 02-02-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Low Heat and a jumpy guage usually means you are low on Coolant. You might not see leaking but have you checked the Level?

A sticky thermostat that causes the tempurature to go High would give you HOT Heat. Low coolant would not pass through the heater core causing cooler heat and with no low coolant passing the Temperature sensor would show a unstable readings.

Last edited by Tony H; 02-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Starting Member

I've checked the coolant level pretty much on a daily basis and it's definitely not dropping.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pmezo
I've checked the coolant level pretty much on a daily basis and it's definitely not dropping.
Hmm, OK when the car is all warmed up, Is the Upper radiator hose HOT?

Did you change the coolant before this started? Just wondering if you have an air pocket in the system that needs top be purged.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
greasemonkey08 is on a distinguished road

if your coolant level is fine it is that your thermostate is stuck open when your thermostate is stuck open which means its pushing coolant all the time and keeping the engine under operating temp and is making your heat not as hot as it used to be you can buy a thermostate at autozone for $10

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Tony H
Did you change the coolant before this started? Just wondering if you have an air pocket in the system that needs top be purged.
I havent touched the coolant in the year and a half that i've had the car. I've never had to add anything to it.

Originally Posted by greasemonkey08
if your coolant level is fine it is that your thermostate is stuck open when your thermostate is stuck open which means its pushing coolant all the time and keeping the engine under operating temp and is making your heat not as hot as it used to be you can buy a thermostate at autozone for $10
I'm going to pick up one as soon as i get a chance. I really don't even know where the thermostat is on this car. I've never had to do a thermostat before so i'll have to do some reading around this site and hopefully i come up with something.

Now if i do this thermostat, am i going to have to flush any of the systems or is this a simple bolt off the bad thermostat and bolt on the new one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temp guage randomly rises then drops