2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

timing change - set timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member
hotrodln is on a distinguished road
Default timing change - set timing?

Ok I replaced the timing chain set on my 95 today. I probably ought to check the ignition timing? or is this one of those that sets itself? If i need to do it with a timing light, is there a wire i should disconnect first? Thanks !!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

not 100% about s10s. but i recently picked up a 90 fullsize with a tbi and theres a sticker under the hood that tells you in detail exactly how to check the timing and which wire to disconnect and where to find it

Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Beginning Member

when in doubt, check the sticker! good advice that i always forget !!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

OK i checked the sticker " says to disconnect the timing plug".....but it doesn't show any diagram of where that is.........there are two connections to the distributor??is it one of those? ANy help is appreciated. Thanks pat

Old 04-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If this is the older setup with adjustable timing, the timing connector is located off the passenger side of the transmission tunnel under the front edge of the carpet inside the truck.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Beginning Member

so should i look up under the dash? pull the carpet back on the passenger side? anybody got a picture of it? the eng runs great right now, but i just pulled the distributor and put it back based on my paint marks.....pat

Old 04-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If this is the older setup with adjustable timing, the timing connector is located off the passenger side of the transmission tunnel under the front edge of the carpet inside the truck.
do you think the timing connector is labled? i've got the factory repair manual, but when i look up changing the timing it says to llook in another book.......something like the emmissions and driveablilty manual or something like that.........

Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not likely. Just have a look. It's all by itself.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member

ok i'll check it out tomorrow........thanks!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member

well i pulled the carpet back about 6 inches and didn't see any connectors.....maybe they moved it to a better spot? there's two plugs into the back of the distributor..........not one of those? i wish i had that "other" factory manual!!

Quick Reply: timing change - set timing?